C/C++ GUI design?

Started by
4 comments, last by gosper 18 years, 7 months ago
I was wondering if there is a GUI builder that would generate code (prefferably based on GTK+ library) that would look like VB (when making a window). My idea is that, you shouldn't have to learn the actual command needed to create a window (although you should anyway), because if you want to create a C++ program with a GUI, you shouldn't have to reinvent the 'process to create a wheel' over and over again. (in this situation GTK+ are the tools to make a wheel). Here's something I cam up with while writing this post: GTK+ = tools to make a wheel GUI = wheel code to make a GUI (calls to create a window, make buttons, etc.) = process to make a wheel the thing is that the only step that can vary greatly is the actual wheel (lights, spinners, etc), but no matter how complex the program might be, the code to create the GUI on the same library will be strikingly similar ...
Advertisement
If learning Win32 is too advanced for you, you could use MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes). It has form design specifically for C++, and it's layered ontop of the Win32 API. So, if those are too advanced, you should probably look into Visual C++.NET, which is free for Visual Studio 2005 beta 2.

You can download it at:
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/visualc/default.aspx
The difficulties with creating GUI aren't in coding, but in NOT 'hard coding'.

Even if you use a type of GUI creator, similar to the resource editor-- the window sizes, shapes, surfaces all depend on values hard-coded through the GUI builder.

A far better idea would be a scripting language that described rules for window sizes/shapes/surfaces that depend on the size/shape/surface/position of related widgets on the same window.

A flexible, run-time evaluate-able GUI like that is really what you need...

That said... there are quick-n-dirty ways to create GUIs if you're not concerned about quote unquote "good design". VB/MFC are examples, as dxFoo says.
my_life:          nop          jmp my_life
[ Keep track of your TDD cycle using "The Death Star" ] [ Verge Video Editor Support Forums ] [ Principles of Verg-o-nomics ] [ "t00t-orials" ]
i am looking for the vb gui designer but spits out c/c++ code (based on gtk/qt/whatever library)
Quote:Original post by slavik
i am looking for the vb gui designer but spits out c/c++ code (based on gtk/qt/whatever library)

Glade does that.
Fluid is pretty nice, http://www.fltk.org/ .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement