Sign in to follow this  

[.net] Updated Tilemap Editor

This topic is 4484 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Figured I would post what i've been working on recently. Been working on a Tilemap editor, but been testing out the new Visual Studio beta. So far it is working great, and it has created a great looking interface. Also since I completely rewrote the program from ground up, it now runs like a champ. I will be posting it soon as soon as I get the last of the bugs out. Check it out at http://www.forgottenstar.com/EE/ Theres a link on the main page here, and in the News section. Let me know what everyone thinks, and if anyone wants some of the source, let me know. It is completely written in Visual C# using GDI+. Thanks, and enjoy. Slyprid [edit] Washu: linkified. [/edit] [Edited by - Washu on September 7, 2005 12:20:55 AM]

I'm sort of looking for a tile editor, and I was wondering if it supports flipping tiles? So on the map can you indicate for each tile if it needs to be flipped horizontally, vertically or both.

Also, can it import a bmp image, and hack that into tiles, and automatically create a map using those same tiles (It'd be perfect if it could also autodetect different tiles and remove duplicates)?

Lastly, can you give some more details on the custom output of map data?

[Edited by - rick_appleton on September 7, 2005 10:36:09 AM]

It doesn't support flipping yet, but I'm going to be implementing it soon. Will probally add it in the release. Main reason it isn't in it now is because my engine doesn't use it yet, but will be soon.

The dividing of tilesets into tiles should be fairly easy, and can implement that also. Thanks for the idea for removing duplicates. Will try to incorporate these also.

The custom output allows the user to adjust what they want the editor to save in the map file. This allows some flexibility for different engines.

Slyprid

Thanks for the comments. I'll give it a whiz, see how it works.

Ok, I've taken a quick look.

Good things:
Nice installer.
Seems pretty easy to use.
Large interface.

Things I'm missing for my purpose:
- Custom map size.
- Possibility to adjust tile size (I'm working with 8x8 tiles).
- Also, the map editor hides the start bar at the bottom of the screen.
- It'd be nice to be able to change the position of the horizontal separator between the map and the tilesets.
- I tried adding my own tileset to tileset.lst, but I had to create a .png file also, even though I didn't have any transparency. I think it did load my bmp before it gave a no-file found exception. Would be nice to do this from inside the program.
- I haven't been able to find anything about the custom exporting. Is that in the current version?

It seems very promising though.

[Edited by - rick_appleton on September 8, 2005 3:35:53 AM]

Yeah the version you downloaded is Version 1.0. Haven't uploaded Version 1.1 yet. Was finishing up some bugs in it before I fully release it. Version 1.1 fixes a lot of things dealing with sizing. Version 1.0 was pretty much meant to only run on my system, so wasn't working with sizing and scaling, but had a couple requests that testers wanted to help with map creation so started working on Version 1.1. I should have it up by Friday night so everyone can work with it.

Slyprid

This topic is 4484 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.