Sign in to follow this  

Specular bump mapping

This topic is 4482 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been trying to find a good specular bump mapping tutorial but I cannot seem to find anything the explains it very well. There is a specular bump mapping example in the Shader X2 book, but trying to understand whats going on by looking through the code is near impossible. Does anyone know where a good tutorial for that would be? Thanks, Chris

Do you know how to calculate specular lighting altogether? If not, DirectX SDK has a lighting topic that covers the algorithm.

When doing specular calculations per-pixel, you use the normal stored in the normal map (possibly transformed by the tangent-binormal-normal rotation matrix to get it to tangent space) instead of the normal from the vertex data.

If you have a modern card (>=2.0), you can feed the tbn matrix to the pixel shader, and transform the normals there. Otherwise, you can transform the light vector per-vertex using the inverse of the tbn matrix - you'll lose positional precision this way, but it works with simple pixel shader profiles.

Hi there bengaltgrs,
How are you doing?

The Problem
Specular bump mapping tutorial.

The Solution
I would just like to add from where nik02 left off by saying that I have a sample of bump mapping on my site in the form of a normal mapping tutorial which is a bump mapping technique.
Normal Mapping tutorial

For other interesting reading look at
Steep Parallax Mapping

Quote:
I have a sample of bump mapping on my site in the form of a normal mapping tutorial which is a bump mapping technique

I looked at the tutorials and they definitely have some important information to know in there. I was wondering though, if you could tell me how to use the HLSL shaders in C++, or at least point me in the direction of a good tutorial. Everything I have seen on HLSL just explains how to write HLSL, very little on the actual C++ code needed to use HLSL and apply it to objects. I feel like I understand HLSL better from the tutorials, but like I said, it is not too helpful unless I know how to do the C++ part to use the HLSL. (I am sure there have got to be tutorials on the web somewhere on this, I just cannot seem to find them.)

-Chris

This topic is 4482 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.