Resources for learning software design.

Started by
4 comments, last by chad_420 18 years, 7 months ago
I have come to the point where i would like to embark upon a larger project than i have been working on. I have also come to a barrier, I have no idea howto design software. I have no problem sitting and writing out a class that gets something done but as sson as a try to think of how the differents classes i need will work together without being 'tightly coupled' my mind goes in circles. If you could point in the direction of some reading material on the subject I would greatly appreciate it.
Advertisement
Why not try GDNet's books section, or perhaps the Articles section?
Try the book 'Object-Oriented Software Engineering' by T.C. Lethbridge and R. Laganiere. It teaches you how to develop practical software using UML and Java. I liked it a lot!
I also found the design section of Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language Special Edition to be rather enlightening, and it is available in many public libraries.
The book 'Design Patterns' by Gamma et. al. may be useful. It contains a lot of the patterns regularly used in software design, and will give you an idea of the techniques available.

Also, depending on what you're hoping to write, you may find browsing through well written source code to be a good way of learning. Try downloading source to programs that accomplish a similar task and see how they do it.
MumbleFuzz
Thanks for all the info guys, ill definatly take the tim e to check them all out. I did read the book design patters that mumble mentioned, it sems it would be good reference and was a bit over my head. Im really trying to learn howto apply these patterns. I appreciate your suggestions and thanks for your time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement