Sign in to follow this  

c# using a c++ engine

This topic is 4483 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a c++ engine, and im intrested in making some sort of mesh viewer in c#, so with my engine running inside my c# application and using the c++ code. is this possible? how would i go about it? currently my engine compiles in to a lib (not a dll).

Kinda [wink]

Trouble is templates. You can only define template instantiations and rename them for SWIG, since most other languages do not have a concept like templates:

%template(ArrayOfInts) Array<int>;

Plus operators must be renamed, which is also because of 'limitations' in other languages:

%rename(IsEqualTo) operator ==;
%rename(IsUnequalTo) operator !=;
%rename(IsLessThan) operator <;
%rename(IsMoreThan) operator >;
..etc...

Other than that it's quite a usefull tool.

cu,
CipherCraft

Quote:
Original post by supagu
for my engine you mean?
to convert my managed code it is just some project options i assume?

Oh goodness no. You basically have to partially rewrite it.

Don't do it - terrible idea.

Using C# isn't a bad idea if you're calling your DLL-ified C++ engine. If you can pull it off, it'll probably work quite well.

The other alternative is to use a C++ windowing system, possibly through a language like Python (I recomend wxWidgets).

I wrote a managed C++ wrapper for my engine in a night and hooked it to a C# application, it's quite simple actually. You can either write it by hand or try using SWIG to generate the wrapper.

You can use P/Invoke to call functions in C++ DLLs, much like the Tao Framework makes class wrapper functions to OpenGL and SDL for use with .NET languages like C#. You can even make sequential class structures in C# to match up to the class interface you made in C++ held in the DLL.

To call a C++ function in a DLL file, you use the DLLImport attribute:
[DllImport("CppEngine.dll", ExactSpelling=true, CallingConvention=CallingConvention.StdCall)]
public static extern bool Initialize(string windowTitle, int width, int height);
The P/Invoke is very smart in converting various data formats back and forth. For example, your C++ function could take a char* and in C# you could pass in a string and P/Invoke will translate it for you [wink]. I've never tried SWIG before, I should try it out.

This topic is 4483 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.