Sign in to follow this  

api independent...

This topic is 4482 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi folks, i finally get an api independent texture class to work (multiple inheritance), my brain was some kind of dizzy during the implementation, well now i try to get it to run with the handlemanager from "Games Gems I" and now the problem, the handlemanager tries to create a template object through the std. constr., well not a problem but if i pass as template parameter the texture interface class the compiler hangs, (well not surprising) but how can i get it to run without implementing one handlemanager for each texture (2D, 3D, 1D...), because it works without a problem when i pass as template not the interface class but the specialized class, thanks in advance for your time (for reading this as well as participate), greets tgar

I don't know this particular handlemanager class, but if it is/has a collection of your objects, then the simple answer is you need to store pointers to the interface class, not the interface class itself.

Example:

class A {
int a;
public:
virtual int value() const { return a; }
};
class B : public A {
int b;
public:
virtual int value() const { return b; }
};

std::vector<A> as; // bad!
std::vector<B> bs; // ok
std::vector<A*> pas; // also ok

pas.push_back(new B);

Without seeing handlemanager, I'm guessing it's a similar situation as the vector in my example.

This topic is 4482 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.