Sign in to follow this  
chbrules

[C++]Concatenate Issues

To keep it short and sweet; I have a string, 'file', in which I want to concatenate some things on to. I have these to add:
".\\CampaignID00000" + i + "-OpenedEmail.txt";
I want to concatenate those into my string, 'file'. i is an integer datatype. When I try to do so, I get errors about not being able to add pointers to the string type. I imagine it's the way the + operator is overloaded in the string datatype. How would I be able to go about concatenating the above line into a single string? Thank you.

Try using std::string instead of just string literals. Or you can use a std::stringstream to build the string instead.

could try

// 2 ^ 32 = 4294967296
char *targetstring;
targetstring = new char[strlen(".\\CampaignID00000")+strlen("-OpenedEmail.txt")+strlen("4294967296")+1];
sprintf(targetstring,"%s%i%s",".\\CampaignID00000",i,"-OpenedEmail.txt");
//this is overly complex ;) use std::string

Quote:
Original post by SiCrane
Try using std::string instead of just string literals. Or you can use a std::stringstream to build the string instead.

Wow, that worked! Why is that? What's the difference between using the std namespace and accessing it through the scope resolution op?

A string literal doesn't have type string, it has a type of a char array, which doesn't overload operator+() for string concatenation.