Sign in to follow this  
Darkchu

Best thing to know about sports games

I want to know besides knowing a program(know C++) and using programs...(Got GameMaker)..wat else should i invest time in to know in order to create a successful sports games such as baseball,basketball and football?

The same thing as any other game. Visual arts, sounds, music. The only thing different in modern sports would be the heavy use of motion capture which might or might not be quite out of your budget.

Make sure you know all the rules. You'd be surprised how many there are (and how many are left out) of games. You should also study team AI behavior.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You should know that EA pretty much owns all the rights to use any real characters or teams for nearly all sports.

1.make the game itself and add a creative aspect that puts it in another class of playing.. (like the line of sight for the new madden game).. something like that
2.Make a full archive of plays for each team..
3.Make a mode in which u also manage the team's budgets... recruiting... ect...
4. mini games...
5. cheerleaders...
6. chearleaders...
7. and everything else u can think of to make a kik azz game... (get rid of game maker)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by EmptyMinion
5. cheerleaders...
6. chearleaders...

5. brunettes
6. blondes
???

I never really thought of this, but pretty much nobody on this site seems interested in making sports games. I guess we programmer-types were never into (or good at) sports.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by EmptyMinion
5. cheerleaders...
6. chearleaders...

5. brunettes
6. blondes
???

5. brunettes
6. redhead's
----------------- most blondes are not natural hair color any more.. kind of disapointing... but anyway
----------------------------- if you want to make a succesful game-------------- GET RID OF GAME MAKER!

Quote:
Original post by Simian Man
I never really thought of this, but pretty much nobody on this site seems interested in making sports games. I guess we programmer-types were never into (or good at) sports.

That's because with sports games all the rules have already defined. Plus all the popular ones have games made about them already. I'd like to make a fantasy sports game though, where I as the designer get to play around with both the rules of the game and the rules of physics.

Back to the original question: I think you can get away with less resources for a decent sports game, especially if you are sticking to 2D. Taking soccer for example, all you really need in terms of art is a background of the field, a single set of animated sprites for all the players (with a bit of colour tweaking you can get different shirt, skin and hair colours) and a single sprite for the ball. You can get away without having much music, and the sound effects can be minimal too.

A tricky part is designing an intuitive interface, so the game players can easily translate that play that they see in their mind to the actions of their players on the field, as well as control an entire team instead of one avatar (assuming you are making a team sport). You will also need good A.I. for the computer teams. And of course, you need to know the rules of the sport inside and out.

Keep in mind that you can't use real players names, or the names of teams, as they will have trademark issues.

Quote:
Original post by Simian Man

Any sports-related posts receive way too little response, so developers interested in making sports titles give up on GDNet when it comes to design. They'll just come by and talk about specific implementation issues.

There's a guy in Chicago, registered here, making a first-person hoops game. Forget his nick, though. I floated an idea for a Sports RPG once, but I think it received 80+ views and only 5 responses.

Well i was playing to do a football game but wit fictional players/fictional teams but mainly working on basketball/baseball cuz well EA doesn't have a license on them yet.

Quote:
Original post by Darkchu
Well i was playing to do a football game but wit fictional players/fictional teams but mainly working on basketball/baseball cuz well EA doesn't have a license on them yet.

You do realize if you want to use real players/teams and stuff from either sport, then you will have to buy a license and make a deal with them to use those in your game?

Quote:
Original post by Darkchu
wat's a better program than game maker to make a sports game or any game at all?
Game Maker's fine, I suppose. It's better to use what you already know and get things done. As you learn to program, your experience will come into play and some things will come more easily.

As for knowing *all* the rules, that really depends on how much dedication you want to put into your project. How realistic do you really want to get, or would rather make this your thing with your own little changes?

Well,
what I hope to make atleast one time in my programming carear is high school football game. lol. I mean, just think of it! Have some of the major high schools. I think it would be pretty cool. I am also thinking about sometime in my programming carear a whole sports simulation game. You make your person, and you start from like...lets say.....7 and you have to make it to the pros and play. I that that would be fun! lol.

Chad Smith.

Quote:
Original post by Chad Smith
Well,
what I hope to make atleast one time in my programming carear is high school football game. lol. I mean, just think of it! Have some of the major high schools. I think it would be pretty cool. I am also thinking about sometime in my programming carear a whole sports simulation game. You make your person, and you start from like...lets say.....7 and you have to make it to the pros and play. I that that would be fun! lol.

Chad Smith.
Sounds like the Sims, or perhaps like Oluseyi's sports RPG idea.

Actually, I'd wonder if your character could ever decide to do anything else besides sports in school. Then he could go up to his pressuring dad and say "I don't want yo' life."

Quote:
Original post by Trapper Zoid
That's because with sports games all the rules have already defined. Plus all the popular ones have games made about them already. I'd like to make a fantasy sports game though, where I as the designer get to play around with both the rules of the game and the rules of physics.

I'd love to see a game along the lines of Mutant League Football. Here's some screens. My favorite is the message from the referee "Forfeit: RAZORS has beaten the WHINERS, since WHINERS has too few players left alive."

K the main reason is that there's an old game that came out in 1997 I believe called Baseball Pro 98...yea it's super old in our standard but that game was so awesome. I wanted to update the game and put in some features and fix some bugs the old game had.
Since believe it or not alot of ppl play it but since it was made for windows 95/98, almost no1 plays it anymore. If i could update it and make it work on Windows XP. It should be as popular as MVP Baseball..or maybe a bit less in computer baseball makings

Of course i figured i have to get it licensed to use the real teams in both basketball and baseball.

BTW if u guys wanna check out the game Baseball Pro 98

go to download.com
Search for Baseball Pro 98
download the large demo

Quote:
Original post by Darkchu
any1 know wat to do to get it licensed?

I suspect you have to ask the organising body of the sport for permission to use the team names and logos. Large quantities of money will probably have to be involved.

In short, unless you have publisher backing (or a huge piggy bank), it will be hard to get a sports game licensed. It's probably best to make your own teams up.