Sign in to follow this  
ender7771

Saving as a .ico

I'm making a videogame and I want to make a custom icon for it. I already have a 16x16 bitmap, but I need to make it an .ico . Does anyone know any programs or extra libraries for the Gimp that will do this? Sorry if I'm being off-topic or a n00b.

Maybe you should update your copy of gimp. Mine (2.2.4) has the ability to save to .ico built-in.

Not to get off-topic, but I believe I heard there are some standard sizes for .ico in Windows. Does anyone know what operating systems have what limits on what icon sizes? I'd like to know the answer for both application icons and for webpage icons please. Thanks. [smile]

This is from what I remember...

Pre Win 95 - 32x32@16 color
Windows 95/98 - 32x32@256 color
Windows XP - 64x64@true color?
favicon: 16x16@256 color

A really good tool for creating icons, animated cursors, etc. is a program called "AWicons" ... it has this nifty 'lite' version. You can pixel your own icons or import common filetypes of certain sizes into it to save in either .ico, .cur, or .ani file extensions. Ive tried a good bit of free programs out there, this is the first one i could find that wasnt terrible and came at no cost to download. have fun.

-st0ven