• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kelcharge

Think your smart, I thought I was...

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It's also not specified how high off the ground the cylinder is and how long the chain is. Clearly if the top of the cylinder is less than a foot off the ground, it will be impossible to raise the bar more than a foot. And if the chain isn't long enough, you might never be able to raise it in the first place. And if the chain is too long, it'd take a good deal more turning of the cylinder to raise it above the ground.

[Edited by - kSquared on September 7, 2005 10:04:45 PM]

Advertisement
Plus it's not specified in which axis the cylinder turns. If you turn the cylinder in the vertical plane, then the answer will depend on how long the cylinder is and at which point you rotate it (both of which weren't specified). So everyone's answer can be deemed correct [smile].

This is why you need to think like a lawyer when you write mathematics questions. Students always try to weasel their way through everything. [wink]

Quote:
Original post by Trapper Zoid
Students always try to weasel their way through everything. [wink]

Rascally students!

When I first read it I was confused by the chain being on the bottom; If the cylinder is lying on its side, shouldn't one of the ends be the bottom? [smile]

Kelcharge, you bring that teacher here so we can keelhaul him! [wink]

-Josh

It also depends on whether the chain winds over itself on the cylinder, the thickness of that chain, as well as the point on the metal bar at which the chain is attached, and the length of that bar. We may also need the chain's modulus of elasticity, moment of inertia, and linear mass, as well as the mass of the bar.

Quote:
Original post by Fruny
It also depends on whether the chain winds over itself on the cylinder, the thickness of that chain, as well as the point on the metal bar at which the chain is attached, and the length of that bar. We may also need the chain's modulus of elasticity, moment of inertia, and linear mass, as well as the mass of the bar.

[lol]

GameDev.net, turning even the simplest problems into rocket science.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You people are so silly.

your also forgetting, if you were to rotate it 90 degrees, it has already lifted, it has infact lifted 5 inches.

**edit** whoops, no your not, read the first reply of 170 degrees wrong, sorry :(

Guest Anonymous Poster
If the wire is the exact length from the bottom of the cylinder to the ground, and the wire is perfectly elastic, then 137.5 is the only solution to the problem because exactly 12in of wire is wrapped around the cylinder which means the bar is 12 inches off the ground; unless the wire broke or slipped off the cylinder for some reason.

--noone

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!