Sign in to follow this  
Avont29

gotta learn it

i got to learn opengl, these game engines, are expsensive as ****, and the opensource ones suck, anyway, is opengl super hard? and does it support xb-x, xb-x 360, ps2, ps2, and gamecube, revolutionns?

Quote:
Original post by Avont29
... is opengl super hard?

No.

Quote:
Original post by Avont29
... and does it support xb-x, xb-x 360, ps2, ps2, and gamecube, revolutionns?

No, no, no, no, no, and no.

Quote:
Original post by JohnBolton
Quote:
Original post by Avont29
... is opengl super hard?

No.

Quote:
Original post by Avont29
... and does it support xb-x, xb-x 360, ps2, ps2, and gamecube, revolutionns?

No, no, no, no, no, and no.

That's not quite right [smile]. I'm not a console game programmer, but I'm pretty sure the Gamecube, and most likely the PS2, allow OpenGL programming (or at least a close variant of it). Not so sure about the Xbox; that probably uses DirectX.

Agree with OpenGL not being "super hard" though [smile].

OpenGL cannot support a game console. Period. Game console can support OpenGL. OpenGL is just a specification for communicating 3D ideas and graphics to some medium, whether it's a screen, memory, a 3D holographic cube, a very fast artist, whatever. The Operating System doesn't even have to support OpenGL. You just have to be able to provide support under the OS for the OpenGL Specification (1.1 is most commonly supported on virtually every platform, with spotted to complete support for 1.2+)

As for your consoles...

XBox is made by Microsoft. Microsoft makes DirectX. Use some logic there. ;) Actually, if you've modded it, and are running Linux, there's a good chance you're running OpenGL since the graphics chip is just a modified GeForce 2 MX (right?).

PlayStation most likely supports OpenGL, although sometimes console makers used their own libraries to cut down on the overhead, especially on older systems where memory is at a premium.

Gamecube...well, the graphics chip is an ATI, so there's a chance that it does support OpenGL, at least v1.1. However, again, with memory being at a premium, it may be a modified or even proprietary system.

Finally, what a surprise, no. OpenGL is very easy to learn and get the hang of, provided you understand state machines. Without understanding them, it's still not that difficult to learn, but you might be put off by the amount of toggling (ie: calls to glEnable and glDisable) when writing something a little more complex than a rotating block on a screen.

Added: Have you taken a look at Torque? It's commericial grade, designed by former programmers at Sierra (before the Sierra of old was gone), and it's not expensive at all. Around $100. You can find it at www.garagegames.com. And trust me, if you think $100 is expensive, you'll probably not have much luck in home brewing computer games. ;)

There is OpenGL for PS2, I've seen it myself. However, it's not the primary API, SPS2 is the most used API for PS2 programming, at least from the point of view of the educational Linux kit. I believe there's a different set of libraries for the professional kit.

Just for your information, the XBOX uses DirectX.

Quote:
Original post by Avont29
i got to learn opengl, these game engines, are expsensive as ****, and the opensource ones suck, anyway, is opengl super hard? and does it support xb-x, xb-x 360, ps2, ps2, and gamecube, revolutionns?

If you have to learn openGL, you will not make an engine better then Ogre any time this or next year. So stating that opensource engines sucks are wrong.

Quote:
If you have to learn openGL, you will not make an engine better then Ogre any time this or next year. So stating that opensource engines sucks are wrong.

That is absolutelly true. Ogre is a great engine. If you can think you can make something better than that, just take the sources and optimize them!