Texturing terrain - a question...

Started by
0 comments, last by Oxyacetylene 18 years, 7 months ago
Hi everyone, this is my first post to this forum. Lately I put some efforts to port my 3D engine from Java3D to openGL (via LWJGL). I already upgraded my 3D engine in number of ways, and now I am at proper texturing of terrain. Until now, my idea was to texture (GL_TEXTURE0_ARB) (say, 200x200) terrain with 256x256 texture for RGB component. That will give colors to terrain, green for grass, grey for stone etc. On top of it, (GL_TEXTURE1_ARB) I modulate this with some detailed "noise" texture which is tiled over terrain. So far, so good, the effect isn't so bad at all. But now, I want to achive different detail textures on different types of terrain. I started to search forums, articles, trying to find some examples how to make that. My idea is to put an alpha mask on each detailed texture, but how really to put it into code ... hmm... I lost myself in EXTTextureEnvCombine.GL_* extension methods, but what I REALLY need is some guide, example of at least one masked texture (two TEXTURE_ARB states, mask and texture), or anything that will help... tnx. my project: hvor.madpage.com
Advertisement
Do a search for "texture splatting", from what you're describing, it sounds like you want to use texture splatting. (Although I've never heard of texture splatting being used for a detail texture, I've only heard of it being used to mix different textures).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement