Sign in to follow this  
GreenGiant

dx8 tutorial problem

Lo peeps, I'm giving a tutorial i found on dx8 a go, but having some problems. Now I know this should be in the newbie section, but since it's dx specific, thought i might as well post it here :) Ok, so the site is: http://www.andypike.com/tutorials/directx8/001.asp Now the annoying but is right at the beginning, where the guys says: 2. Make sure that your project settings are correct. a. Project > Settings... b. On the Link tab, make sure that "d3d8.lib" is in the list of Object/Library Modules. If it isn’t simply type it in. AND 3. Make sure that your search paths are correct. a. Tools > Options > Directories Tab b. In the "Show directories for" drop-down, select "include files". c. If it does not exist already, add the following path: <SDK INSTALL PATH>\include. d. Make sure that this path is at the top of the list by clicking on the up arrow button (if needed). e. In the "Show directories for" drop-down, select "library files". f. If it does not exist already, add the following path: <SDK INSTALL PATH>\lib. g. Make sure that this path is at the top of the list by clicking on the up arrow button (if needed). Now in my version of VS C++, the things he said (Project > Settings, Tools > Options > Directories Tab) do not exist! I've been scratching my brain on where it could be, but whatever I do it doesn't seem to work as when I compile the source he gave I always get an error. Has this happened before to anybody? Know a way around it? Thanks a lot! -greengiant

The instructions you gived out is about MS Visual C++6.0
In .net, it should be project->attribute->linker->input->additional dependencies
AND
tool->option->project->vc++ directories
hope it will be helpful

Quote:
Original post by Konfusius
Try Extras/Options, Projects, VC++-Directories.

Don't know if that is the exact wording, because I am using a german version of C++.

Yeah those are some of ones I tried, while looking for the settings the bloke was talking about in the tutorial. They weren't right...

Quote:
Original post by ANuy
In .net, it should be project->attribute->linker->input->additional dependencies
AND
tool->option->project->vc++ directories
hope it will be helpful

Ahh, I'll give that a go now.

Quote:
Original post by ANuy

Actually they are about german Visual C++ 2003, translittered into english. [wink]

Ok so I gave it a go, and re-compiled but I got the same error as before.

In tutorial it said:
On the Link tab, make sure that "d3d8.lib" is in the list of Object/Library Modules

I did:
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9504/lib7rx.jpg

In tutorial it said:
If it does not exist already, add the following path: <SDK INSTALL PATH>\include.
If it does not exist already, add the following path: <SDK INSTALL PATH>\lib.

I did:
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/2518/directory4lj.jpg

And get this error from his code:

Direct X.cpp(165): fatal error C1010: unexpected end of file while looking for precompiled header directive.

That is the .NET SDK path.
Your DirectX SDK is probably in a location like C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (August 2005).
Also, you added them to the "Executable files".
Add the .lib dir to "Library files" (or whatever it is called) and the inc dir to the "Include files".
As for the error: add #include "stdafx.h" at the top of each .cpp file.

Quote:
Original post by Konfusius
That is the .NET SDK path.
Your DirectX SDK is probably in a location like C:\Program Files\Microsoft
DirectX 9.0 SDK (August 2005).

Hmm, I don't have that folder. Nevermind though, it worked. Thanks for all the help.