Sign in to follow this  

Buying a PDA

This topic is 4476 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been wanting to get into PDA dev for a long time now. I have just recently got the money comming in to let me. Since I am still kinda of short, I plan getting a palmOne™ Zire™ 31 Handheld with a palmOne™ Universal Wireless Keyboard. It comes with a free 128meg SD card and a USB card reader. It even comes with headphones. The total cost for everything with shipping is $205. I figure I can then be content while I save up for the $500 Life Drive - and I'll already have a $70 keyboard for it and an SD card. Does this sound good?

After reading CNets review of LifeDrive I'm thinking that I might just do better to get the Zire w/o the keyboard and but an iPaq 2750 when I get the money. It has all around better states (except for the 4 gig hard drive).

Also thinking of either a Tungsten or a Dell Axim.

If you are limited on money, yes. Keep in mind that while color, the Zire 31's screen isn't that great (low res, and it's a passive screen with poor color reproduction - that's what you get to make the least expensive color handheld on the market).

To be honest value wise the Tungsten E2 (or an E if you can find it being sold off cheap, though the price hasn't really dropped for those with stock left) is the best. The screen is fantastic, it's fast, has a descent amount of built in memory (which is flash memory now like the high end models), and has bluetooth, all for a relatively cheap price. It (E2) is also compatible with the Palm Wifi card.

As for your upgrade plan, do realize that the lifedrive is not small and portable like the Tungsten and Zire lines - it's very fat and intended more like an electronic clipboard rather then something you put in your pocket.

Quote:
Original post by gandolf1212
Also thinking of either a Tungsten or a Dell Axim.

Those are dramatically different platforms for development.

Dell Axiom is a Pocket PC based (a variant of Windows on a wide range of chips, 2003 and later are generally XScale-based). If you want to target anything before PocketPC 2003 (such as the Axiom X5), you'll need to use Microsoft eMbedded C++ (which is really a mangled, pre-standard C++) or the .NET Compact Framework 1.0. You can use Visual Studio .NET for that. Note that VS2005 only targets 2003 and later devices.

The Tungsten is based on PalmOS (similar to Mac OS programming pre OS7, on a Moterola chip). Choices there are pretty much CodeWarrior (the dev tools on Windows feel like a mac port) and a GCC tool chain.

Major differences are the graphics interfaces and storage functions. There are significant differences in the amount of application and storage memory, processor speed, and design philosophies.

If you have programmed for either Windows GUIs or MacOS GUIs, you'll be more comfortable with either one or the other.

frob.

This topic is 4476 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.