BREW - Verisign Class 3

Started by
5 comments, last by ttdeath 18 years, 7 months ago
Qualcom is requiring a Verisign Class 3 certificate to start playtesting code on their phones, the certificate costs $400 for 100 applications. Are there any people out there willing to split the cost of this certificate, or companies selling individual applications? - Valles
Advertisement
Maybe. But frankly, if this needs to be split, I don't see how independent developers can afford the QA process and NSTL, which is easily $x000, not to mention the ARM compiler.
There is also the variant of becoming an operator managed developer.
This way the operator tests the apps on its handsets.
No fee required for some of them.
Hmm, unless you have a killer or stunning application, the operators won't negotiate with you, especially if they dont have the coop program.
It's in the operator's best interest to nurture the development pool, so to speak. So I'd expect most operators to at least look at your application or provide some testing hours at their lab. Of course, if your app. is nowhere near the required commercial quality, you can't expect the treatment of a serious developer.
As to ARM and NSTL testing. You can use GNUDE compiler to create BREW apps and it's free. Putting them on the phone does require either the named certificate or an operator that can do it for you. And yes, there are unsuported apps. that allow you to upload the files on the cellphone. I wouldn't try them since they may break your phone, but it's an option nonetheless.
What is an operator managed developer?
valles:

If you live inside the area covered by a certain phone operator,
there is the alternative that the operator makes a contract with you
and they provide testing and inclusion in their catalogue for your application.

I'm not sure if this works with physical persona (or just companies),
but I am sure it is harder when the phone operator's catalogue is full.
But it's an option described by Qualcomm, in any case.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement