• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
FoxHunter2

Real-life units - 3D-math

This topic is 4820 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! Could anyone explain me how to convert real-life units into "computer-readable" units? Say I want to accelerate a car with 5 m/s. Everywhere I read something like this: vel = vel += 0.5f But how do I define to x.xf be something like xxx Meters? Other scenario: I create a 3d-building using Maya or whatever. Let it's height be 35.0f or something like that. Now what do I need to do if I want this building to appear ingame as a 50 Meter high building? I'm totally lost here :( regards

Advertisement
Think for a moment. What does it mean to measure 50 meters? Measuring something is a human action: putting a value and an unit on a given property by comparing it to a reference, the value of which is arbitrarily decided on.

So, simply decide that a line between (0,0,0) and (1,0,0) is a one meter long reference, and build everything according to that reference. This will make everything consistent.

I too usually choose a 1 unit as 1 meter, not sure if it's the best thing to do for large scenes tho. dont worry when you're building your model, just build it however you feel comfortable and provide a scale matrix with it to get it to the dimensions you want.

Tim

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!