• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Scavenger23

making a 2d engine

This topic is 4820 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to make a 2d engine, but I have no idea what to use. Should I use DirectX or OpenGL or something else? Can you also suggest some good tutorials? thanks

Advertisement
It is perfectly possible to create a good looking 2D game with both DirectX and OpenGL. There are also some packages available like SDL or Alegro (which I don't have experience with). SDL helps you writing your game by supplying a library of crossplatform functions for drawing on the screen, input and much more. They also have a lot of tutorials available, so you might head out to SDL website and have a look at it.

You also might want to have a look at my 2D engine JEngine SSE which I am currently developing, also using SDL. You can play with the editor and sources. Just head over to my website wiki and see how to download it (follow the link in my signature,

Take a look at the unofficial Alt. Game Library's FAQ (under construction) for lots of resources on what's avaliable.

I'd say go for the SDL approach. Lot's of avaliable resources as well as a pretty nice library that is constantly being updated and developed.

If you can explain some on what you want your 2D engine to do as well as what you want to make with it, perhaps further opinions can be offered. Remember, the more you tell us, the more we can help you [smile].

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!