• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mari_p

DirectX in Dev-C++: which are the limitations?

This topic is 4819 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi friends, I know Microsoft's compilers are the best to work with DirectX. But I also know it is possible to use DirectX with Dev-C++, although I have never tried it. Just for curiosity, I would like to know which are the most common problems we faced by using DX in Dev-C++. Is it possible to use all the DX resources with Dev-C++? Would Dev-C++ offer some limitation? Thanks in advance

Advertisement
Because of how it is now illegal to use the DirectX library in Dev-Cpp though reexporting the lib files into a files, the hardest thing is getting the files if you do not make them yourself. Link here.

So if you really want to use DX with GCC based compilers, good luck! Your best bet would be to use Code::Blocks with the MS 2003 Command Line compiler or VC++ 2005 Beta, all of which are free, if you are truly interested in staying up-to-date with DirectX.

Sorry for the bad news.

Thanks Drew. I didn't know that it is now illegal to use DirectX in Dev-Cpp. I have VC++ 2005 Beta. The question regarding Dev-Cpp was just a curiosity. ;)

Just another question:
Is there some prevision about when DirectX 10 will be released?

Thanks again

As far as I can see, it's not illegal to use from DevCpp. The problem seems to be with the redistribution of the libraries (through the devpacks). If you do it all yourself, it shouldn't be a problem. I think.

DX9 should work fine, i just installed 4.9.9.2 and it ships with the DX9 libs and header files ..i haven't tried a DX9 based app in it yet but's everything is there, although noticed someone else has written the header files for it

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!