• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sophic Delusion

Unity Isometric Real-Time Strategy Game: Generica

This topic is 4810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello there, this will be my first post as Sophic Delusion (I was known as Exellon a long time ago). My purpose in posting this is to receive some constructive feedback on a research project that I am very eager to begin. The concept itself is a result of my passion for real-time strategy games and the main technical concept drawn from Microsoft's Terrarium game they're currently using to promote several aspects of .NET. I frequented the forums here several years ago when I was still a silly adolescent with dreams of building the next triple-A title on my 400 MHz Celeron… by myself. The numerous (and might I say fully-justified) flames I received for my foolish ambitions and the dozens of articles and newbie resources I was pointed to have led me back again to Gamedev.net. And in the hopes that my more recent perspectives on my personal abilities will do me better on the forums here now and in the future, I would like to start by presenting my probably-not-so-original concept to you all to see what you think. I realize that the project that I'm about to describe, in itself, is far too ambitious for me to complete alone, but as it is only a research project to improve my own personal skills I am willing to accept that. And of course the entire source and workflow of the project will be available to anyone who might like to aid me, observe my work, or even possibly derive from it if it progresses enough. So without further ado, here it is. ---------- Generica is an isometric, real-time strategy game that focuses on the strategic element of the genre rather than fictional factions and the war-centered storyline surrounding them. Instead of attempting to realistically fictionalize or mimic and exaggerate real-life factions, units, and storylines, every entity in Generica is, well, generic. The general basis for entities and gameplay is modern to futuristic combat (i.e. guns, tanks, etc.), and therefore combat in the game is based on short to extremely long range skirmishes such as those found in the Command & Conquer series and Starcraft. Entities and behaviors in the game are based on their more clearly-defined and well-known archetypes. For example, instead of a Russian Whisperer Tank and a Russian Screamer Tank there would simply be Light Tank and Heavy Tank. The terrain follows the same concept (e.g. cliff, dirt, grass, pavement). Factions in the game exist as a means to globally modify entity behaviors and properties. Multi-player gameplay will be supported via a client/server model. Server management software will be developed as well for players to run their own dedicated servers and the community services associated with them (lobbies, match-makers, etc.) Artificial intelligence for single-player or multi-player gameplay will be provided as a software development kit to create standalone, automated client executables that connect to multi-player game sessions as though they were actual human players. This method frees the system resources on a player's client or the server that might otherwise be used for artificial intelligence. A player with a single machine may by all means run an AI client in the background in order to have a man-versus-machine match by himself. The fact that the AI is made available through an automated interface to the game server allows different AI clients of infinite variety to be developed by independent developers. EDIT: I believe I kind of mis-spoke what I mean't to say about the AI thing. The extensibility library for that is actually simply a "Client SDK" for developing clients, not necessarily automated ones. Just wanted to clarify :) Generica will utilize the .NET Framework to provide an extensible and intuitive framework for developing the game's entities and behaviors. A complete development kit similar in nature to the one included with Terrarium will be provided for player's with a C# or VB.NET compiler to write their own modifications. As with the Terrarium SDK, certain features of the .NET Framework will be disabled or restricted accordingly in mod assemblies to ensure that mods are not permitted a level of code access that would allow them to modify core game behaviors or provide facilities to cheat. ---------- Well there you have it. Impossibly ambitious, eh? I think so at least, but I'm willing to give it a shot as long as I can hold out. Anyways though, as I said before, my main reason for posting the project concept here is to receive some constructive feedback on it. If you've read this far, thank you, and I would very much appreciate anything you would have to say. -- Sophic Delusion [Edited by - Sophic Delusion on September 12, 2005 1:46:42 PM]

Advertisement
Sounds like a cool concept. If you make it really simple at first then you could easily do it alone then just add little by little. But yea it would probaly be best with another programer or two. Then your going to need the graphics and sound effects. I would like to see you go on with it.

I also love RTS games and have been wanting to write my own. You say yours is going to be in .Net? I was thinking about making mine in .Net a while ago but wasnt sure of how to do OpenGL in .Net and didnt care enough to find out so I started writing the engine in C++. Its halted right now as I just started school but im probaly going to continue with it(though rewriting the engine).

More people need to play Total Annihilation. I wonder why there hasn’t been a serious re-release.

Sophic have you played it?

Your on the right track about using dotnet, vb would prolly be the best choice, but do you have any idea even where to start on an AI sdk? I don’t.

But if you need in help with getting managed vb rolling, im working on a managed vb game.

Below is a link to my most recent video of my engine in action.

RPG Test Video

*EDIT

That video is unusually unexciting and lame. But note the skeletal animation, and also note that the engine was running at 60fps at the time of the video was recorded. Heh… its time to make a new video.

Quote:
Original post by SquareDanceSteve

Your on the right track about using dotnet, vb would prolly be the best choice, but do you have any idea even where to start on an AI sdk? I don’t.

Well as far as an AI "SDK" goes, I believe I misspoke (sp?) what that actually entails. It is actual a Client SDK, which will simplify the client/server abstraction layer and make writing client applications for the game easier. So really people could use it to make player clients or automated ones. However, hopefully the client application included in the game will be extensively developed enough that people's focus will be more on writing automated clients.

Btw, couldn't access your video.

- Sophic Delusion

Quote:
Original post by Azh321
Sounds like a cool concept. If you make it really simple at first then you could easily do it alone then just add little by little. But yea it would probaly be best with another programer or two. Then your going to need the graphics and sound effects. I would like to see you go on with it.

I also love RTS games and have been wanting to write my own. You say yours is going to be in .Net? I was thinking about making mine in .Net a while ago but wasnt sure of how to do OpenGL in .Net and didnt care enough to find out so I started writing the engine in C++. Its halted right now as I just started school but im probaly going to continue with it(though rewriting the engine).

Hi, thanks for the feedback. The entire project is mainly a programming-oriented project. To that end, graphics and sound content other than placeholders as at the low-end of my concerns. As I said, the project is one gigantic learning project for me. Right now I'm still fooling around with the source control (CVS for source code, ionForge Evolution for everything else), continuous integration server (CruiseControl.NET), and various other automated build tools that I'll be using (NAnt, NUnit, fxCop, etc.). You can probably glean from my last statement that my focus is also on the software engineering/project workflow aspect of game development.

Thanks again for the feedback.

- Sophic Delusion

I watched it fine in FF. Btw Sophic, can you PM me your AIM s/n or MSN or anything? Ide like to talk to you and possibly do this with you. Im just trying to learn more and have never done a massive game before and I was going to make my own RTS engine in .Net so I thought why not try and do it with you?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!