• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
elekis

how to start a game??

This topic is 4813 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi everyone. I have some trouble to start a a game. I mean by what I must start. I take a exemple. I would like a mario-like. ok and what after?? must I begin by uml diagram (and in fact, is it always a uml diagram, and if there a uml diagram it's the same prob, by what start??) or start a small program who work (but what exacly a small programm) or see directly what I need (a CSprites class, engine classe etc..etc..) and begin to code that. in a word, how start?? thanks a++

Advertisement
Well planning out what you are going to do is certainly the most advisible and best method to get started...but then again we programmers just sit down and start coding. After which we then write out the plan [lol]. Ok anyways, you can try to make a plan and follow it, but the problem with that approach is that if you have never done it before, you have no idea of what you need to be doing. So instead, you can just take the trial-error approach. You simply start programming and revise as you go along. After you get one release done, you can go back and start making it better and more versitile. Depening on what library you decide to use, I'd start studying a few game programming tutorials just to see what you are in for. Good luck!

There's a helpful webpage here at GameDev.net that's designed to help cover some of the beginning questions that people have. Does any of that cover what you need? If not, then we'll help you with the more specific questions you have.

But as Drew Benton says, I like to start with a plan. It doesn't have to be UML; in fact, that's a bit technical to begin with. I'm starting with the game design document, where I outline everything that I'll be doing in plain English (no programmer speak!).

I find it easiest to diagram out the parts of the game and then fill them in with code.
Starting with the most usefull keeps me interested in the game. I fill in the most shinny last.
But, diagramming from the start keeps me from writing code that makes adding the shinny stuff
imposible to do.

For some reason I've been obsessed with the adventure game lately. As I have gone through
several revisions of my design I find the things that work and the things that make it hard in the end.
My general idea is outline the stuff:
-items
-players
-rooms

Then outline the attributes
-description
-hp
-doors

Then outline methods
-take/drop
-move
-look
-use

Then code in classes for each object, including the attributes. Then code in
a block outline of all the different methods. Then get the input and output code to work.
Then start coding the methods in.

Once you finish your game, go back and look at the problems you had.
Try to revise your design and find the mistakes you made eary on. That way in your next game
design, you don't make the same mistake twice.
Then move on to you next game, or go back and rework the one you just did, and try to
add new features like multiplayer, monsters, pakfiles, scripting, ect.

Starting a new game is one of the hardest parts.

I like to start by spending a week or so away from the computer, with a notebook, just figuring out how things will work. I try and tackle as many problems as I can before I start coding at all. Figure out what systems you need, what tools, just everything you can think of, just write it down. It may be hard, because it is so compelling to start coding, but I guarntee there is something you forgot, or didn't have planned well that will haunt you later.

After that, I get my tools together (resource packers, level editors, whatever). From there, you just have to start working on some system. Graphics are a good place to start.

Quote:

Starting a new game is one of the hardest parts.

Finishing the game is the hardest though.

elekis, a method that works for a lot of people is to build a rapid prototype of the game to allow you to map out exactly what you need to do. This is a version that is quickly built with little-to-no graphics but with the basic gameplay in.

Once you've got that in, you can start designing your code-base with a better idea of what you want in there using UML or whatever design methods you wish to use.

It's different for different people, unfortunately. A lot of it depends on what you consider to be your priorities - are you more interested in having working graphics subsystems, or in getting the gameplay working so you can try out the design? The latter suggests you ought to prototype (using as rapid a technique as possible - writing code may not be the best method, things like Flash or Multimedia Fusion may be faster).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!