• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Neon

Need help on J2ME GPRS

This topic is 4816 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have the question about programming using GPRS 1. Is it possible to link to WAP site by open webbrowser on the J2ME application? 2. I need to program download content application, need help on how to let J2ME download the file like wallpaper java app ringtone and video clip and then save it on the mobile phone? Thank you for any suggestion and comment Neon

Advertisement
I haven't done anything like that before, so don't take my answers too seriously.

1. You can reach the WAP site and read it's contents but you'll have to do the display yourself. This means you'll have to do a j2me browser (or get the source code of one). You can't call your phone's browser to open the wap site (as far as i know).

2. Same as above. You can't call your phone's applications from j2me nor have access to your phone's wallpaper/ringtone/clip storage. All storage you get is your application's record store. So, you can store anything you want (you are usually very limited in space) but only your application can access what you've stored.

I'm refering of course to the "standard j2me". Some phones may provide costum java libraries that let you access some of your phone's features. So you really should check the documentation of your target phones to see what they offer.

Thank you for your advise

for the first question I think in the same way as yours. But second question, I saw some application really can download the content to the phone, not to J2ME application. after put download button the phone will show the instant message to ask the user to save the content. and then the content will appear in the phone.

Really thank you for your help
Anyone can give me more detail on this. plz...

Neon

Yes that's a workaround. You can send messages with the Messaging API. If your target phone has that API you can send a message to yourself (or have some server send it). You just have to know the right protocol for the message so that the phone understands it as a ringtone message, a program download, etc.

Notice the same workaround suits question 1. You could send a message with a wap link that the phone's browser should open.

for question 2is it possible with out send the message out ...

like.
1. access to WAP side
2. server send the content to phone automatically

I don't have knowledge about the server but I know that user can download content using WAP side

and WAP side is act like WEB side so... when I click the link in WAP side it will refer to some URL

and then what ever they done the content will send to the phone

so for application I know that I can access to WAP side so..... just type the URL of content THAT ALL???

am I right???? quite confusing

THANK YOU for you help ^_^ you are so kind.

Neon

Yes, that's about it (if i got your idea correctly). The phone can browse a wap site and that site may have links to content the phone recognizes.

But in this case this has nothing to do with j2me or gprs programming. The client (phone) only needs the browser to access the wap server and get the content. All you need to do is provide the wap server, the content delivery page and it's contents.

You're welcome. ;)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!