• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ursus

close combat art

This topic is 4815 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello This isn't exactly about game programming but I don’t find any better forum to post my question. Here it is: I like the way Close Combat looks. It’s very beautiful with photo-realistic graphics (at least in terms on terrain and objects). I was wondering how they managed to do this. Is it a regular 2D tile engine or is it more complicated technology. At their site link (in the downloads section) I’ve found quite some cool textures and this is made me think they are not using any regular tile engine (but this is just a guess). Anyways, have anyone any idea or know some article or site or whatever that would help me to extract some of the graphics in their files? Thanks in advance Peter

Advertisement
The Close Combat map structure (at least nr. 3 which is what I attempted to do maps for once upon a time) basically consists of a huge terrain bitmap, a grid with tile type and elevation data, a roof bitmap layer used for removable roofs, and a visibility structure (precomputed from heightmap data due to its CPU expensive nature).

The main problem obviously is to make the beatiful terrain bitmap. I guess you could use satellite photoes for this, though it's certainly possible for a good artist to achieve something of quality. Coding an editor that loads this bitmap and allows a user interface to specify the tile properties and height shouldn't be very difficult. Coding for the visibility data (used to determine when units can see each other) might be of some complicated algorithm but I couldn't imagine so. I think it can be done merely by doing some kind of line intersection between every visibility subdivision cell on the map and store the result. Ie. if subdivisions A and B are tested the height in between at the tested point is interpolated with regards to distance from A and B, and seen if its higher than the current point/subdivision.

To sum it up, graphics are not tiled even though map properties are; hence the size of CC maps are very limited. For one that bitmap quickly gets massive in memory as you scale up in dimensions, and you also need to create it which is the biggest obstacle.

Regarding sites, I know there are some Close Combat related editing sites. I no longer have any links however due to several computer switches from that time.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!