[.net] .Net 2.0 in VS2003?

Started by
6 comments, last by Washu 18 years, 7 months ago
I hear that a lot of the GUI problems that I am having will be fixed in VS2005 and the new .Net framework. I was wondering if I will have to buy VS2005 to recompile my project for .Net 2.0, or if VS2003 will be sufficient?

Shedletsky's Bits: A Blog | ROBLOX | Twitter
Time held me green and dying
Though I sang in my chains like the sea...

Advertisement
Also, If any1 knows, will VC++ .NET 2003 syntax be compatible with the new VC++/CLI in VC++ 2005 .NET?

Thanks!
Reject the basic asumption of civialisation especially the importance of material possessions
The 2005 .NET CLI/C++ is totally different from what you see now as managed C++ in version 1.1 of the framework.

__it __no __longer __looks __like __this
You can always recompile using the free .NET Framework, which includes C#, J#, VB compilers. I'm not sure of the availability of a C++ compiler, although express editions of Visual Studio will be available for $50, so obtaining it won't be as financially painful as in the past. Regardless, I suggest upgrading the IDE, as it adds useful features like refactoring for C#.

VC++ 2005 supports the old managed C++ syntax via the switch /clr:oldSyntax.

Well in the past they've handed out free VS CDs on campus, so I don't care how much it is.

But usually the free CDs are the Standard Edition and I'm using Enterprise Architect right now, so it would kind of be a downgrade.

Shedletsky's Bits: A Blog | ROBLOX | Twitter
Time held me green and dying
Though I sang in my chains like the sea...

As for your question, you could probably *compile* 2.0 apps with 2003, but any 2.0 features would show up as invalid code in the IDE, most likely. And the IDE would still be pretty 1.0/1.1-based.

So yeah, you'll need 2005 for any real work.
A while ago, Microsoft announced that each IDE will be focused on just one version. Thus, to work in 2.0, you'll need to have VS 2005. This guarentees an environment fully integrated to that particular version. I believe SharpDevelop (www.icsharpcode.com)'s IDE allows you to work in both versions under one IDE.
Quote:Original post by dxFoo
A while ago, Microsoft announced that each IDE will be focused on just one version. Thus, to work in 2.0, you'll need to have VS 2005. This guarentees an environment fully integrated to that particular version. I believe SharpDevelop (www.icsharpcode.com)'s IDE allows you to work in both versions under one IDE.

Visual Studio 2005 can generate standard 1.0 (note, this does not have to do with the framework, just the IL) code as well, this wouldn't allow you to use the special features of 2.0, nor the extended framework, but it would (in theory i haven't really tested it yet) be able to run from the current .net framework release.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement