Great New Console Idea!!

Started by
15 comments, last by hotron 18 years, 6 months ago
I have a good idea on a new console and most of the features it would have. Is there anyone high company I can talk to to see about selling my idea or anything? Or working to make my idea?
-------------------------Unless specified otherwise, my questions pertain:Windows Platform (with the mindset to keep things multi-platform as possible)C++Visual Studio 2008OpenGL with SFML
Advertisement
Is it a Phantom or an Indrema?
If you're serious, no, an idea is worth precisely nothing, so you can't sell it.
If you could sell ideas, then everyone would be a millionaire.

Secondly, even if you were giving your idea away for free, it's extremely unlikely that a company would take your idea and make a console.
This doesn't belong in Help Wanted, I'm moving it to the Consoles, PDAs, and Cell Phones forum.

I'm under the impression that you won't get anywhere unless you can at the least provide a functional prototype however, not to mention convincing the company in question that it would be worth the risk of producing it.

- Jason Astle-Adams

i do prototype and pretty much the whole thing just about designed but if there's a way to contact a company to give a good presentation of it, i'm going to make a portfolio and get all the infomation professional looking to them of course. so if there is, lemme know
-------------------------Unless specified otherwise, my questions pertain:Windows Platform (with the mindset to keep things multi-platform as possible)C++Visual Studio 2008OpenGL with SFML
No.
Do I know you? (My oldest online alias is IronCondor; that's what you'd probably remember me by. Weren't you working on that Kalepian Invasion game a year or two ago?) Anyway, a console? Impossible, unless you get lucky enough to gain endorsement from a large company. Very large.
http://pineapplesoftworks.jconserv.net/index.php?Pineapple Softworks -- Lead Writer, Lead Game Designer
Quote:Original post by spectre1890
Do I know you? (My oldest online alias is IronCondor; that's what you'd probably remember me by. Weren't you working on that Kalepian Invasion game a year or two ago?) Anyway, a console? Impossible, unless you get lucky enough to gain endorsement from a large company. Very large.

Impossible? No. Likely? Not really, but nothing is impossible.

If you want to make a new game consol, you are going to need funding.

This goes for ANY business you want to get into, consols, spaceships, pet rocks.

Funding can come from either a large company, starting your own and getting investors, or Daddy's sliver spoon. But if you're asking here, you're going to need one of the first two. If you are asking here, you do not yet have the experience to jump in on either of the other two options.

Oh, and to those that say "Ideas are worthless", they are fairly small minded people when they said that. Ideas are THE second most valuable thing in this world. The first most valuable thing in the world is USING those ideas. Without an idea of a computer chip, we never would have HAD a computer.

The person that comes up with the idea for cold fusion is either going to be a billionair, or a sucker that gets their idea stolen.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Quote:Original post by Talroth
Oh, and to those that say "Ideas are worthless", they are fairly small minded people when they said that. Ideas are THE second most valuable thing in this world. The first most valuable thing in the world is USING those ideas. Without an idea of a computer chip, we never would have HAD a computer.

Ok, that's not smallminded, just naive. Ideas aren't holy or implicitly valuable. Ideas *are* worthless if you can't do anything with them. When it comes to making a console, I'd say the odds are that you can't do anything with your idea. If you can, then you might just become one of the richest people on the planet, but until then, your idea is worthless.

Everyone has a few hundred ideas on various subjects, and yet, not that many people manage to become billionaires. Which means that on average, ideas are utterly worthless.

To put it bluntly, Sony has spent several billions developing the PS3. They've had dozens and dozens engineers working on every aspect of it.
And they've spent even more than that ensuring software support for it.

So why would anyone pump money into one amateur's idea? How can anyone reasonably expect that if they fund your idea, it's going to go up against the PS3 and XBox 360 and end up making a profit?
How would they even convince developers to make games for it? Who's going to pay them to do that?
That's what it comes down to. You need to convince them it's a good deal for them.

If you can convince a company that your one-man-show can, if they pay for developing and manufacturing it, *and* bribe developers into making games for it, sell well enough to make them a profit in a market where at least 3 other companies are pumping countless billions into both hardware and software.

Without knowing anything about your idea, I'd say it's unlikely that you can convince anyone of that. Which in turn means that you're unlikely to find anyone willing to buy or use your idea.

Quote:
The person that comes up with the idea for cold fusion is either going to be a billionair, or a sucker that gets their idea stolen.

Or a complete nothing, because he wasn't able to implement it. Ideas are easy to find.Everyone has dozens of the damn things. For that reason, ideas aren't naturally valuable. Occasionally you can come up with one that is (and once in a while, it can even be extremely valuable, but the general rule is that ideas are worthless.
Get out your Electronic Engineering manuals, phone up some manufactures of embedded CPUs and GPUs, and warm up your soldiering iron.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement