• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jjd

[java] Graphics tutorial

This topic is 4811 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a tutorial that explains Graphics (or Graphics2D) objects? I don't want the API or another list of the methods available, but a way to think of them. I know this may sound odd, but I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to think about Graphics objects and their relation to the various flavours of image objects and graphics devices, etc. I guess I'm trying to understand the big picture. Any suggestions? -Josh

Advertisement
I'm not really sure what you're looking for, but in a lot of cases, there's no EASY way to think of it as a particular entity. I always end up having to encapsulate various aspects of the API into my own UDT.

I've been recommending Game Programming Genesis on the Game Programming page for people who want to learn 2d graphics. He (the author) actually goes into detail on each parameter for each function, instead of just saying "This should be NULL, but don't ever ask why...ever!"

I know there are various extensions out there that build an OO framework around the APIs, but if you want to learn how to "think" about them, you might try building your own classes.

Quote:
Original post by Monkeyget
Is this what you are looking for : http://www.cokeandcode.com/info/tut2d.html ?

No, but thanks.

-Josh

As far as I'm aware, there's no easy way to figure out what you're asking. Best I can suggest is to [google], and browse the articles on this site, and just keep trying. When you've read a few dozen tutorials, you'll be able to start figuring out how everything fits together. [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!