• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
paradise

OpenGL 3d Graphics Fundamentals

This topic is 4813 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi , I am reading a book on Graphics Programming "Introduction to Computer Graphics" by Foley et al. This book is pretty old.Explaining fundamentals in good details. While implementation of any concept it takes PHIGS as example.I have heard that those technologies have become outdated now.I want to ask whether new packages like openGl use the same graphics concept as given in this book. Someone who have read this book please tell me, is it good enough to read this to learn all the concepts of 3d Graphics or things have changed in time and I should find a rather new book? Thanks in Advance

Advertisement
Most of the concepts should transfer over to GL fairly painlessly since most of what's described in that book is at a fairly low level.

it's a really good book. may I also suggest "3d computer graphics. a mathematical introduction in open gl" a professor of mine wrote it and I think it's really great. although don't come to it looking for a open gl guide, it only provides the very basic with code examples in open gl, it's mainly a math book. which is the real important thing, the math, and the underlying algorithms.

Tim

I still remember the times where we had to make our own rotation matrixes for each axis with the sinuses etc. ^^

It's good reading I reckon.

Hi ,
Thanks to all of you. After your replies I think I should keep on reading this book. Actually I am learning the API to develop games for Mobile phones.So I don't really want any language specific (opengl or directX) Book.
I just want to have all the fundamentals of 3d Graphics.

Thanks alot !!!

Yeah, I'd recommend the whole of that book. When you're finished with it, I'd recommend you move on to Moller and Haines' Realtime Rendering, which discusses much more high-level methods and techniques (and is generally more up-to-date).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!