Setting up the VC 2003 toolkit

Started by
8 comments, last by Dave Hunt 18 years, 7 months ago
Can anyone guide me with the correct procedure for setting up the VC2003 with its toolkit, to use its optimizing compiler? I am a bit out my depth! I know I have to point to the toolkit bin folder, but I'm not sure how to get the vcvars32.bat into the command line during compilation Many Thanks Simon
Advertisement
You don't need the vcvars32.bat if you run the compiler from the IDE. All you need to do is add the toolkit's bin directory to the top of the executables directory list in the options in Tools/Options/Projects/VC++ Directories.

Ah yes, sorry, I see that now.

What compiler optimisation options do you recommend, Dave?

/G7 for p4 and athlons?

I think I am missing something vital, since I can't see any improvement in performance yet.
I get an error saying optimisations not allowed in standard version if I use /O2.

I was better with VC6! :)

ANy advice gratefully received.

Simon
/G7 is good, but I would also add /O2 (maximize speed) or even /Ox (maximum options).
Hmm,

When I include /O2 or /Ox I get this build warning

Compiling...
cl : Command line warning D4029 : optimization is not available in the standard edition compiler

Its like my IDE is not aware of the toolkit, although its added to the VC directories.

WHen I say its added, I mean the bin directory is included. How do I make the IDE use the cl.exe that in the bin directory.

Thanks

Simon
Did you put the toolkit bin directory at the top of the list?
Yes, it is at the top of the list of

options>projects>vc++directories>>Executable files

Hmm, yes i see what you mean.

SHould look in there first for cl.exe

hmm

Si
If you have "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\bin" (or wherever you installed your toolkit) at the top of your executables list, then it should automatically use your toolkit's cl.exe. That's how I have mine set up and it definitely uses the optimizing compiler. I turned the /nologo option off to confirm that.
Hmm,

Then maybe it is working.

I see very little performance increase tho,

My game controls are very laggy, fps is about a third of what it was using VC6.

I have tried several different D3D9 frameworks to ascertain whether I was setting DX9 up in an inefficient way. All the same result.

Maybe I'll have to blow the dust off the VC6!!! :P

Simon
Quote:Original post by sipickles
Hmm,

Then maybe it is working.

Not if you are getting that D4029 warning.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement