typedef structure?

Started by
6 comments, last by SiCrane 18 years, 7 months ago
I've been looking for info about the "typedef struct" in C++, but none of the articles seem to explain it in a way to understand it. Is it the same as a regular struct? What differences does it have? (If looked all over Google and MSDN)
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
Advertisement
It's a C-ism. Don't use it in C++ code.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

C compilers didn't automatically generate an identifier when structs were declared.

This means:
struct Bob { ... };Bob b;

would throw a compile-time error, because Bob isn't registered as a valid identifer. There were two ways around this:
// The crappy way (prefix every instanciation declaration with 'struct'):struct Bob b;// The better way (typedef the struct):typedef struct Bob_ { ... } Bob;Bob b; // this now works properly, thanks to the typedef

Please do not do this in your C++ code though! Like SiCrane said, modern compilers don't have this problem!
If you define a struct in C like this:
struct MyStruct { ... };

and you refer to that type, you always have to add the 'struct' keyword in front of it. If you typedef it like this:
typedef struct MyStruct { ... } MyStruct;

then you can also refer to the type without having to type the 'struct' keyword.

In C++ you don't need this, since the first version already allows you to refer to the type by its name (without 'struct').

Edit:
Seems nilkn was faster.
Quote:Original post by nilkn
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

C compilers didn't automatically generate an identifier when structs were declared.

Please note that C compilers still doesn't generate type tags for structs. It's a difference between C and C++, not a problem that has been fixed in "modern compilers".
Meh. Thanks for the info. I guess it's another thing I should avoid.
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
Sorry for hijacking this slightly but I have a question. I have been using structs by putting struct infrount of them every time which is hastle. So I tried the typedef way but if theres one in the actual structure it doesn't work. E.g. in a linked list of bob structures you would have a bob pointer for the next in the list inside the bob structure. How would I get around that?
You have to use the struct tag to declare pointers to the struct type inside the struct definition. e.g.:
typedef struct tagNode {  struct tagNode * next;  struct tagNode * prev;} Node;

edit: again, only do this if you are using C. In C++ should be avoided.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement