• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mussashimits

Hi, might anyone recommend a program for me?

This topic is 4813 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've begun to create 3d models using 3d canvas. I was hoping to find a rather simple game maker with which I could make a 3rd person game. I don't have any experience in scripting, so I would like one with, perhaps, an easy mode that has a point and click interface. I have anoyher question about my model. If I want to be able to make animations with it, should I make the model in separate pieces (such as head, torso, arms...) that I want to merge with the bones of the skeleton for animation? Or should I just make it all in one piece. Also, is there a program (or tool within the game making program) that allows you to mesh a model onto a skeleton without changing the model's appearance at all? I just really dislike having to morph the model even a tad to fit onto the skeleton. Another quick question- does anyone know of any sites which contain free low poly models to play around with? I have one last question. Is there a good model converter out there that allows you to convert models without any changes? The freeware version of 3d Canvas only allows an export of .pov format, or you can save your scene as a 3D Canvas File. Well, that's all for now. Thanks very much!

Advertisement
If you have no experience, use Blitz 3d or 3drad. I suggest Blitz3d, because it's in an easy language called BASIC. If you want total easy, go with 3drad, but I highly recommend you don't! I have it and I consider it a waste of money. I don't really know of any sites for free models, but some good tutorials are at 3d Total. Also, for an amazing file converter, take a look at MilkShape3D. It's an amazing modeler that I use with just about every file format out there.

Thanks for the help. I'll try Blitz and Milkshape. I also wanted to ask, as I'm working on my 3d model right now, if I want to animate it,should I make separate pieces like I described? or would it be alright to just make it all one piece (for example, making a complete model by starting with one box and Extruding.)

Oh and my problem seems to be that the only file type that 3d Canvas exports models to (the freeware version that is) is .pov format. This it seems changes the model. I guess it seems unlikely, but does anyone know of a program that imports 3d Canvas scenes and converts them to.. anything? Thanks

Hi!

I would quickly read through this tutorial (its part 3, and that is right :)
Skeletal animation in Milkshape

I think it could answere youre question.

If I understand youre question right you want to know if you can animate youre model if its not compound of different parts (like one part for lower arm, one for upper arm, one for torso...), if this is the question skeletal animation is the answere, where you bind youre model to joints in a skelet, and moveing one joint will affect the part of youre geometry that you have assosiated with the joint.

Well I hope I didn't just make it more confuseing

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I was wondering about that, whether or not the model HAD to be made into different parts. My next question is: does it have to "mesh" the model onto the skeleton, thus altering its appearance? But I guess I can find that out on my own when I finish the model. Thanks

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!