somthing you dont hear to often

Started by
18 comments, last by Gink 18 years, 7 months ago
Well here we go Ive been tooling around with programing for a few years and am prety much still a newb. I was pointed twards assembly and am strugling to figure out how to use it from the comand line. I cant get the nasm-ide to work but that is beside the point. I got nasm to work from the comand line but Im having trobble getting it open the files I give to it as input they are written in notepad I type c:\nams>nasm16 hello.asm -o hello.com and I get the responce from the assembler nasm:unable to open input file 'hello.asm' what am i doing wrong?
Advertisement
Is "hello.asm" in the same folder as the nasm executable?
theoretically it should work if the source is in the current directory. Why do you run nasm16 if you running Windows ?
Beware of the Mighty Hamster!
Yes it is. i figured out how to use nasm from it documentation and could be mistaken as how to do this all and it vertanly isnt simple!
http://nasm.sourceforge.net
im using nasm16 because it is the version that came with the book i have "assembly language steap-by-steap.
let me gues there is a newer version i should have downloaded?
i recommend it. i believe nasm16 is the 16bit DOS version of the compiler.

it seems that sourceforge is down for maintenance

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/devel/nasm/binaries/win32/

Toom#
it seems th only difference between the two is the latter supports win32 programing they both assemble the same thanks hopefully i can work with this the documentation is in better format also
If you are using C++ an ide was easier for me and you can always use that ,but if its Java its easier to use command prompt for me.
Are you saying I should use a c++ ide to write the text doc or asking me if Im coding c++? I using notepad to do all my code and im writing assembly code.

org 100h
mov dx,msg
mov ah,9
int 21h
mov ah,4Ch
int 21h
msg db 'Hello, World!',0Dh,0Ah,'$'
this is also the code in the doc
i got it off the net
and the message i get back from nasm is
nasm: fatal: canot open input file 'hello.asm'
any ideas is there somthing wrong with the code?

[Edited by - atomic_west on September 10, 2005 9:52:37 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement