rpg design

Started by
9 comments, last by ishpeck 18 years, 7 months ago
I'll be covering a few different topics in this one so i can get opinions on multiple rpg aspects. Firstly :- I'm working on an rpg and wondering what sort of battle system to implement. It will be one of the following; :Tactical: - move your party accross the battlefield and defeat all opponents or complete "mission goal" :Real Time: - If you see a monster walking around the forest you can attack it straight away - party members will be AI controlled :Turn Based Battle Mode: Much like the final fantasies. :Fighting game style: Like tales of destiny where you control the character in a street fighter view and your party are AI controlled. Which of the above in your opinion is the best for an RPG and/or suggest styles you've seen in games which you enjoy. [Edited by - namingway on September 10, 2005 7:25:21 PM]
Advertisement
Do you expect people to agree at all on this? :P
I like them all as long as they have some depth. If all that combat amounts to is performing one out of a few attacks and casting spells, it's not going to be much fun for me.
Being an rpg fan myself I know that its not going to be fun without a variety of attacks and abilities that way the player can set up their party how they like.

And Daniel Miller don't quite gewt what you mean.
I played games were I liked all of them and games where I hated all the styles, use whatever fits your game best
Some notes
-If the battle take a long time to fight, like with a tactics or fighting style don’t make a really weak random encounter attack you every two steps
-If you use a real time or fighting style don’t make the bosses have a billion hit points, make battles determent by skill or strategy and not how long you can button mash before your fingers go numb
-In a non turn based or active time battle if opening the menu doesn’t pause them game have the decency to filter out instead of grey out items and ability you cant use.
You will probably get as many answers to this question as there are gamers out there, because everyone intrinsically likes something different.

That being said and assumed for fact, you have to make the game that you are making, you will never cater to every player so at best, try to narrow the scope of your question to target specific groups (Target Audience). Then when you have a good idea of what the people you're gearing towards like, then you can know what they would be happiest with, but still, they will not all be happy, some will hate your system, others may love it, but most will be indifferent with it because you are purposely attempting to rehash ideas that have already been done before.

If you want something that's widely accepted and ranted and raved about, go off the edge of the map and do something completely original, or add some new spin that's more than just a differentiated crunching of numbers.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you have to make a game that you would like to play, make the game that you want to make, because you will never satisfy everyone.

That's my two cents, something to chew on.

Vopisk
good point it will most likely be a tactical battle system but there is room for change. On that what features would be good for it I alreayd have a large list but I'm sure I could list many more. Any suggestions please post
Raw personal opinion:
Tactical Tactical Tactical!

However, as all the others have said, if you ask five different RPG gamers, you'll probably get five different answers. Do what pleases you and I'm sure you'll find plenty who agree.
It only takes one mistake to wake up dead the next morning.
I'm of the same opinion as Kest; I like all of those, if done well. If you like tactical, then go with it and make it as good as you can, and it will be great.

Practically the only thing I don't like about RPG combat, in general, is that nearly all of the systems are simply a battle of patience and endurance (boss fights just mean they deal and can take more damage, and you need to use healing potions more often; that's not challenging, just annoying).

Oh, and those random battles that plague the console RPGs, especially combined with brain-dead combat.
My vote is real time. Real time is usually more fun for me because I actually feel like I am the character. Though tactical (if done right) is alot of fun to.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement