• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jrmiller84

Rate My 2nd Game? DX Breakout!

This topic is 4817 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone, I know it was only about a week ago that I finished my first game of Pong, but I've worked all week to create Breakout! I know it's only a slightly modified version of pong, but I thought it was good to stick to the concepts I had learned and build up. I know I could have done a better job with getting rid of the objects when they were hit as far as taking them out of memory, but I'm still learning C++ (not to mention DX) as I go so cut me a little slack. So here it is, constructive criticism is graciously accepted. I have zipped the source, textures, and exe together below. Thanks everyone! http://www.p0wn3d.net/Pong2.zip

Advertisement
It's pretty cool. However, I noticed two things.

If the window loses focus and you try to return to it, it doesn't seem to work.

Sometimes the ball doesn't seem to bounce when it's supposed to. For instance, I've seen it hit a block and then take out the block above it instead of bouncing off.

Good job though.

mike
http://www.coolgroups.com/

I think that bug has to do with the rate of movement of the ball. I think that it hit's one of the blocks, changes it's direction and then when it checks for a collision again after that, it's still inside of the block it hit so it changes direction again. I should probebly make sure it's always resituated outside of the block before it checks for a collision again. Thanks for the feedback!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!