• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Unreal

Which Scripting Lang For A MMORPG Game?

This topic is 4813 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! This period i am on to start a new 3D Engine to use it for a MMORPG game .. I dont have a previous experience with scripting.. only a little XML stuff.. So.. now is the classic question you all know... Which scripting language should I use for such a game? Ofcouse a game like this need fast scripting language.. I was looking on the internet.. so.. Lua? Python? or javascript? Or some other? Any Suggestions? thank you for your time!

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Unreal
Which scripting language should I use for such a game? Ofcouse a game like this need fast scripting language..
I was looking on the internet.. so.. Lua? Python? or javascript?

Choose whichever one you (and indeed the content creators) are most comfortable with. You don't need a "fast scripting language", because runtime performance of your scripts should be unimportant (your game won't spend much time running scripts compared to doing other things).

When evalutating them, remember that ease of integration is a major factor - I believe that lua and python both have libraries which will automatically generate the "glue" code you'll need - this may save a lot of time.

You also might not need a fully fledged scripting language at all - a simple rule / criteria based system might be enough.

I recommend that you get the content creators to design some example content, and decide what you need based on that.

Mark

I think i will use Lua.. but.. am i going to have problem when i will port the engine/game to other platforms?such as Linux/BSD/Mac?
I want also to be easy to learn for the other ppl of the team who they dont have good programming knowledge..

hmm.. instresting lang..
Both Squirrel and LuaPlus.

i didnt understand this:
Squirrel will be much faster if scripting is complicated/large enough that garbarge collection comes into play: standard Lua will grind to a halt during garbage collection.

what you mean with "garbage collection"? and why Lua (not LuaPlus) will grind to a halt buring garbage collection?
maybe you mean the same "garbage collection" that Java has?

LuaPlus seems much better and powerfull that simple Lua. So why ppl continue to use Lua and not Lua Plus? is there something wrong with it?

Quote:
Original post by Unreal
hmm.. instresting lang..
Both Squirrel and LuaPlus.

i didnt understand this:
Squirrel will be much faster if scripting is complicated/large enough that garbarge collection comes into play: standard Lua will grind to a halt during garbage collection.

what you mean with "garbage collection"? and why Lua (not LuaPlus) will grind to a halt buring garbage collection?
maybe you mean the same "garbage collection" that Java has?

LuaPlus seems much better and powerfull that simple Lua. So why ppl continue to use Lua and not Lua Plus? is there something wrong with it?

GC = Garbage Collection (system deleting/restoring-to-free-pool all unused allocations; a slow operation).

LuaPlus is reference-counted (though a forced GC can be done as well), so no unexpected GC hiccups can occur. Squirrel is reference counted as well (no GC hiccups as returned allocations happen immediately when objects are no longer referenced (gives constant performance)).

LuaPlus uses a modifed Lua 5.x core; it also appears to have trouble compiling on other non-Win32 platforms (uses template metaprogamming). These may be reasons why LuaPlus is not more widely used. However, Vanilla (unmodified) Lua is not well-suited to game applications due the the GC problem (commercial game-app users of Lua have ended up modifying the core Lua code).

In terms of ease of integration and language features (should also be portable to all OS's), Squirrel looks pretty good compared to Lua or LuaPlus.

One thing you need to think about is who is going to write the scripts and what programming skills do you expect them to have ?

hm.. now I am really confuzed..
I am afraid to use Squirrel cause it has not any big team behind it to make someone sure that the whole project one day will not suddently stop cause the author quit programming or something.. also without a team behind the lang the development will be slow (am I wrong?)

Now I am start thinking again Python...
Python is Reverence Counted or not?
John Schultz: why you prefer Lua than Python? I am sure that python is cross platform.. you dont prefer it cause of the speed?

Maybe I am missing it somewhere, but what is the actual Engine coded in? Depending on the language some of these options will be better/worse. For example, since I am making a .Net based engine I am using .Net assemblies as scripts. I think the same can be done of Java(?).

The Engine is coded in C/C++

John Schultz: garbage collector is usefull when the programmer has done a mistake. If the code is perfect is a garbage collector still usefull?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!