Converting .3DS to .X

Started by
5 comments, last by Calin 18 years, 7 months ago
I got a tutorial on loading meshes from a .X file. The tutorial uses the tiger.x file found in the DX SDK. I compiled the tutorial source code and the tiger mesh gets loaded with no problem. I made a 3DS file in 3DS Studio Max that contains only a piramide and a cube. I converted my 3DS file into a .X file with conv3DS.exe and renamed it to tiger.x. When I tryed to run the tutorial application with my new tiger.X only a black window appeared. Can someone point the right direction in this problem? Thanks in advance [Edited by - Calin on September 10, 2005 4:15:10 AM]

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Advertisement
Hi there Calin,
How are you doing?

The Problem
Converting 3DS to .X

The Solution
You might want to check how the file is loaded, Maybe the mesh wasn't loaded properly or the normals wasn't exported using the converter. Alot of problems might have occured.

I would say that you should look into Panda Exporter, It's what I personally use when working with .x files and really is a breeze and pleasure to work with.
I haven't used conv3ds.exe but it might have caused problems. It's best to usually test your model using the mesh viewer included with the DX SDK called DXViewer.exe

I hope this helps buddy,
Take care.
Hey Armadon thanks for help, I will take a look at Panda Exporter.

Hi

I think that you can use 3D studio Max.
You must install 3D studio max then install DirectX SDK 9.c.
after you can import your 3ds file and then export this file
to .x file.

---Mojtaba ebrahimi-
--Mojtaba--
You can try the MeshView utility that comes withe the DX SDK to make sure it's exporting right.
Also check to see if the model isn't too big or outside the frustrum. Usually when I export a 3DS model I end up having to scale it down by around 1000.
Quote:Original post by dyerseve
Also check to see if the model isn't too big or outside the frustrum. Usually when I export a 3DS model I end up having to scale it down by around 1000.

That was it. The model was too big. Thanks

[Edited by - Calin on September 10, 2005 3:45:30 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement