Off Centre Object In Frustum

Started by
3 comments, last by Dark_Light 18 years, 7 months ago
I have built a frustum class and been happily testing it and all has been fine, Until now. I seem to get problems for objects that are not at (0,0,0) World space. The thing is I am passing in the location of objects I wish to test and the tests should take this into account. I am calculating the plains like this!! l_FrustumMatrix = (m_View * m_Projection); //Left m_FrustumSide[5].A = l_FrustumMatrix.M14 + l_FrustumMatrix.M11; m_FrustumSide[5].B = l_FrustumMatrix.M24 + l_FrustumMatrix.M21; m_FrustumSide[5].C = l_FrustumMatrix.M34 + l_FrustumMatrix.M31; m_FrustumSide[5].D = l_FrustumMatrix.M44 + l_FrustumMatrix.M41; //Right m_FrustumSide[4].A = l_FrustumMatrix.M14 - l_FrustumMatrix.M11; m_FrustumSide[4].B = l_FrustumMatrix.M24 - l_FrustumMatrix.M21; m_FrustumSide[4].C = l_FrustumMatrix.M34 - l_FrustumMatrix.M31; m_FrustumSide[4].D = l_FrustumMatrix.M44 - l_FrustumMatrix.M41; //Bottom m_FrustumSide[3].A = l_FrustumMatrix.M14 + l_FrustumMatrix.M12; m_FrustumSide[3].B = l_FrustumMatrix.M24 + l_FrustumMatrix.M22; m_FrustumSide[3].C = l_FrustumMatrix.M34 + l_FrustumMatrix.M32; m_FrustumSide[3].D = l_FrustumMatrix.M44 + l_FrustumMatrix.M42; //Top m_FrustumSide[2].A = l_FrustumMatrix.M14 - l_FrustumMatrix.M12; m_FrustumSide[2].B = l_FrustumMatrix.M24 - l_FrustumMatrix.M22; m_FrustumSide[2].C = l_FrustumMatrix.M34 - l_FrustumMatrix.M32; m_FrustumSide[2].D = l_FrustumMatrix.M44 - l_FrustumMatrix.M42; //Near m_FrustumSide[1].A = l_FrustumMatrix.M13; m_FrustumSide[1].B = l_FrustumMatrix.M23; m_FrustumSide[1].C = l_FrustumMatrix.M33; m_FrustumSide[1].D = l_FrustumMatrix.M43; //Far m_FrustumSide[0].A = l_FrustumMatrix.M14 - l_FrustumMatrix.M13; m_FrustumSide[0].B = l_FrustumMatrix.M24 - l_FrustumMatrix.M23; m_FrustumSide[0].C = l_FrustumMatrix.M34 - l_FrustumMatrix.M33; m_FrustumSide[0].D = l_FrustumMatrix.M44 - l_FrustumMatrix.M43; for (l_Index = 0;l_Index < 6;l_Index ++){ m_FrustumSide[l_Index].Normalize(); } And the Visibility test like this!! public Proximity TestSphere(Vector3 p_Centre,Single p_Radius){ Single l_Distance; Int32 l_Index; for (l_Index = 0;l_Index < 6;l_Index ++){ l_Distance = m_FrustumSide[l_Index].Dot(p_Centre) + m_FrustumSide[l_Index].D; if (l_Distance < -p_Radius){ return Proximity.Outside; }else if (Math.Abs(l_Distance) < p_Radius){ return Proximity.Intersecting; } } return Proximity.Inside; } Just to reiterate this all works when the centre of the object is (0,0,0) No matter where the view points to etc. Thanks in advance for any help
Advertisement
I've got a couple of ideas, but first:

1. Could you put the code in [ source ] [ /source ] tags? It's hard to read without indentation.

2. Perhaps you could also post the 'frustum side' class, in particular the 'dot' function.
Sure, now i know the tags (:

There is no code for the Dot function.. its c# directx 9
and FrustumSide is an array of plains.

m_FrustumSide = new Plain[6];l_FrustumMatrix = (m_View * m_Projection);//Leftm_FrustumSide[5].A = l_FrustumMatrix.M14 + l_FrustumMatrix.M11;m_FrustumSide[5].B = l_FrustumMatrix.M24 + l_FrustumMatrix.M21;m_FrustumSide[5].C = l_FrustumMatrix.M34 + l_FrustumMatrix.M31;m_FrustumSide[5].D = l_FrustumMatrix.M44 + l_FrustumMatrix.M41;//Rightm_FrustumSide[4].A = l_FrustumMatrix.M14 - l_FrustumMatrix.M11;m_FrustumSide[4].B = l_FrustumMatrix.M24 - l_FrustumMatrix.M21;m_FrustumSide[4].C = l_FrustumMatrix.M34 - l_FrustumMatrix.M31;m_FrustumSide[4].D = l_FrustumMatrix.M44 - l_FrustumMatrix.M41;//Bottomm_FrustumSide[3].A = l_FrustumMatrix.M14 + l_FrustumMatrix.M12;m_FrustumSide[3].B = l_FrustumMatrix.M24 + l_FrustumMatrix.M22;m_FrustumSide[3].C = l_FrustumMatrix.M34 + l_FrustumMatrix.M32;m_FrustumSide[3].D = l_FrustumMatrix.M44 + l_FrustumMatrix.M42;//Topm_FrustumSide[2].A = l_FrustumMatrix.M14 - l_FrustumMatrix.M12;m_FrustumSide[2].B = l_FrustumMatrix.M24 - l_FrustumMatrix.M22;m_FrustumSide[2].C = l_FrustumMatrix.M34 - l_FrustumMatrix.M32;m_FrustumSide[2].D = l_FrustumMatrix.M44 - l_FrustumMatrix.M42;//Nearm_FrustumSide[1].A = l_FrustumMatrix.M13;m_FrustumSide[1].B = l_FrustumMatrix.M23;m_FrustumSide[1].C = l_FrustumMatrix.M33;m_FrustumSide[1].D = l_FrustumMatrix.M43;//Farm_FrustumSide[0].A = l_FrustumMatrix.M14 - l_FrustumMatrix.M13;m_FrustumSide[0].B = l_FrustumMatrix.M24 - l_FrustumMatrix.M23;m_FrustumSide[0].C = l_FrustumMatrix.M34 - l_FrustumMatrix.M33;m_FrustumSide[0].D = l_FrustumMatrix.M44 - l_FrustumMatrix.M43;for (l_Index = 0;l_Index < 6;l_Index ++){    m_FrustumSide[l_Index].Normalize();}

public Proximity TestSphere(Vector3 p_Centre,Single p_Radius){    Single     l_Distance;    Int32      l_Index;    for (l_Index = 0;l_Index < 6;l_Index ++){	l_Distance = m_FrustumSide[l_Index].Dot(p_Centre) + m_FrustumSide[l_Index].D;  	if (l_Distance < -p_Radius){	    return Proximity.Outside;	}else if (Math.Abs(l_Distance) < p_Radius){	    return Proximity.Intersecting;	}    }    return Proximity.Inside;}
I'd have to consult the DirectX docs to say for sure, but I'm going to venture a guess. Try changing this:

l_Distance = m_FrustumSide[l_Index].Dot(p_Centre) + m_FrustumSide[l_Index].D;

To:

l_Distance = m_FrustumSide[l_Index].Dot(p_Centre);

I'm thinking that plane.Dot(Vector3) may be of the form:

ax+by+cz+d

And that therefore you don't need to add m_FrustumSide[l_Index].D yourself (and that's what's throwing things off).

Again, without consulting the DirectX docs, this is just a guess on my part.
you are correct.

Your sugestion that the dot may be incorrect made me try

l_Distance = m_FrustumSide[l_Index].A * p_Centre.X + m_FrustumSide[l_Index].B * p_Centre.Y + m_FrustumSide[l_Index].C * p_Centre.Z + m_FrustumSide[l_Index].D;

insted of using the .Dot method.

However leaving the D part of also works!! (: (:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement