• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gsmaster

Most noobish java question ever :D

This topic is 4814 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
In the command prompt, type in javac yourjavafile.java

Then when that's done you'll see a file called yourjavafile.class, what you do next is type in java yourjavafile.class and it will then run your program.

I would get some IDE to make it easier on you.

Eclipse is a good free one,
Sun makes its own called NetBeans which is kinda slow IMO.

The best one I can think of is JBuilder by Borland. It has a free version for download called "Foundation" on their site. Its what I recomend.

Oh and being from canada, I like canadian bacon ;)

Eclipse is a good IDE that lets you use all sorts of languages but I don't use it for myself...
Netbeans the last time I used it was very poorly executed and I didn't like it, but I have heard that it's better now and not so sluggish...
What I do recommend for someone that wants a Java IDE is to download BlueJ. It's one of the best IDEs I've seen and it's only 800KB I think... The site is www.bluej.org
It's quite easy to use... But if you have problems with it you can also download their 50 page manual, but that's usually unnecessary...

The thing that I didn't like about the other IDE's was also the fact that they created alot of other files and such. JBuilder just has a folder for backup copies, the .java, .class, and a .jpx (project) file.

For advanced users I realize that many folders and files created by the IDE is no problme, but to the begginner who's just starting, those folders and files can be intimidating when the tutorials say that you just need a .java file and it should compile to a .class which you can run.

Quote:
Original post by CoderGuy
what you do next is type in java yourjavafile.class and it will then run your program.

Except without the ".class", just "java yourjavafile".

And while I do recomend you get an IDE, if you are at a "no idea how to compile" stage it wouldn't hurt to spend a few days learning to do stuff from the command line to get a grip of what the IDE is doing.

shmoove

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!