• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
PaulCesar

information on XML with JAVA

This topic is 4812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I dont usualy post in the for-beginners forum, but this is something I truly am a beginner with (note: I am a 9 year C/C++ coder, this is just something im toying around with in my spare time, so noone needs to talk down to me). I understand XML fairly well, and roughly understand XML Schema (I have done field work with DTDs though). Anyways, after days of googling im still having a hard time really understanding javas DOM & XML & how it all fits together / use them. I know there are many options for many different things, and im not sure what comes standard to put in an applet for cross platform viewing (which is the whole reason I am choosing to use java in the first place). Anyways, I am looking for any pointers (what to use, what not to use), tutorials, information, or anything you may think will help. I am interested in using XML to interface (as in a web service) an applet to a web server via a php integration layer. Namely for dynamic resource loading. I have been working on a schema file for it, so im guessing I would like to understand java-side validation as well, if anything just for understanding it. I have been looking at this XMLBean project as part of the apache project that seems to make this easy by converting you schema file into some hard classes for you to use, and would be interested in anyones opinions on this... Thanks Richard

Advertisement
This tutorial was very usefull for me when I learnt to use XML with java, especially these two sections: Echoing an XML File with the SAX Parser, Reading XML Data into a DOM

I find the java XML interface to be clunky to work with though, and instead opt for dom4j which imho is really nice to work with. Look at the Quick Start page to get an idea how different it is to the native java XML interface.

Thanks,

Actualy dom4j is what I have currently been using, im not sure if thats the best route or not for an applet so I figured I would get any ideas. Thanks alot for the read though, im getting on it tonight!

Richard

I recommend jdom. It abstracts away the mess of Xerces very nicely.

[edit] You might try asking in the Java Development forum. They'll have some good recommendations as well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!