• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Malphonic

Step By Step

This topic is 4812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, As you can see it's my first time here, and I just want to say I'm really to find such a great place, that can offer a little bit of relif/help to "newbies" like us. I'm from generation "X". And I grew up with gaming all my life. I've never really been into sports and such. And recently, an oppurtunie arrose which may be able to offer me a internship at a game devolpers. So I was wondering what step does video game designing/programing take? I can't really find a step-by-step video game guide. I was wondering if any of you could help me out with this. Do any of you know any good guides that tell you where to start and what you need? Thanks! -Jake

Advertisement
not sure if i really do understand your question but let's go.

first of all game developpement is divided in very specific aspect, the programmation, music, modeling... etc etc, watch the credits of a game and you will see it.

Do you want to develop game for pure pleasure or you would like to do it as a real job. Because you first need to find what you would like to do in the game..

coding the artificial inteligence? coding the 3d engine, making the music? modeling the 3d object?

You could learn it all if you want, but it would take a lot of time to get used to all of this and it would be better if you choose a specific aspect, like the programmation. If you learn programmation, you could code the 3d engine, and the AI if you want it's still programmation, 2 different thing but done by the same way.

The same for the 3d, you could model the object, anime then...

If you tell us what you would like to do in the games, tell us and we will be able to point in a specific direction :)

Ah, okay. Well, I'm more into writting, and help getting the project on to a disc. I want to get into this proffesionally. "Lead Designer" intrigues me. What does this involve? What knowledge would I need for this job?

As far as I know, lead designer involves a bit of everything :) It seems to be the most coveted position, and to get a 'lead' anything, you'd need to have a lot of experience.

Oh, and be aware that many companies distinguish between the writer and the designer.

Check the For Beginners section on this site (Which someone linked to above), as well as the similar section on www.igda.org

Anyway, to answer your question, well, there's no simple answer, because it varies a lot between developers.
But you at least have the obvious jobs.
- Programmers
- 3d modellers/artists
- Sound/Music guys

And then it starts getting tricky. The designer (and lead designer) is, basically, the guy with the ideas. The person who knows exactly what kind of game you're making, how it should work, why it'll be fun, and can communicate this to the entire team. And it's also what everyone and their uncle wants to be. [wink]
There are usually other kinds of more specialized designers as well, for example level designers (who, well, designs the levels)

Then there's the business side, as most games have some kind of producer or project manager. Someone who negotiates with the publisher, yells at people to make their deadlines and worries about money. [smile]

Occasionally, there's a spot for a writer too, just to develop the story and such. This is very much optional though. Sometimes the designer does this, and sometimes no one does it.

And finally there are the testers. Sometimes they're working with the publisher rather than the developer, but there has to be *someone* who plays the game to death, finding bugs and noticing flaws or balancing issues.

Don't expect to land a job as a game designer any time soon. That is *almost* always someone who's worked his/her way up from other positions.
But the rest should be possible if you have the skill.
But no matter what you do, you'll most likely have to be damn good at it. Also, you most likely will only be able

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!