How do I get the Win32 API SDK working on VC++ 05, beta 2?

Started by
9 comments, last by dxFoo 18 years, 7 months ago

Step 3. Update the the Visual C++ Directories in the Projects and Solutions section in the Options dialog box. 
In that section, you'll want to add the paths to the appropriate subsection:

Executable files - C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDK\Bin 
Include files - C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDK\include 
Library files - C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDK\lib

Note:  For Beta 2, you cannot set the Visual C++ Directories in the Options dialog of Visual C++ Express Edition. To work around this issue, you can update the Visual C++ Directories by modifying the VCProjectEngine.dll.express.config file located in the \vc\vcpackages subdirectory of the Visual C++ Express Edition install location. Please make sure that you also delete the file "vccomponents.dat" located in the "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VCExpress\8.0" if it exists before restarting Visual C++ Express Edition. 
Just tell that to some some random guy. Since I have beta 2, I open the VCProjectEngine.dll.express.config file. I get the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<VCPlatformConfigurationFile 
	Version="8.00"
	>
    <Platform 
		Name="VCProjectEngine.dll" 
		Identifier="Win32"
		>
		<Directories 
			Include="$(VCInstallDir)include;$(VCInstallDir)PlatformSDK\include;$(FrameworkSDKDir)include", "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDK\include"
			Library="$(VCInstallDir)lib;$(VCInstallDir)PlatformSDK\lib;$(FrameworkSDKDir)lib;$(VSInstallDir);$(VSInstallDir)lib", "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDK\lib"
			Path="$(VCInstallDir)bin;$(VCInstallDir)PlatformSDK\bin;$(VSInstallDir)Common7\Tools\bin;$(VSInstallDir)Common7\tools;$(VSInstallDir)Common7\ide;$(ProgramFiles)\HTML Help Workshop;$(FrameworkSDKDir)bin;$(FrameworkDir)$(FrameworkVersion);$(VSInstallDir);$(PATH)", "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDK\Bin"
			Reference="$(FrameworkDir)$(FrameworkVersion)"
			Source="$(VCInstallDir)crt\src"
		/>
    </Platform>
</VCPlatformConfigurationFile>
How am I suppose to update this? Where does my executable path go? Where does anything go? These directions are horrible. Is the path suppose to look like this: "...", "..."? Ontop of this discussion, do I dare ask how to put DirectX SDK on this?

Please make sure that you also delete the file "vccomponents.dat" located in the "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VCExpress\8.0" if it exists before restarting Visual C++ Express Edition. 
Okay... and how can I access this path? Thanks in advanced. dxfoo
Advertisement
"Local settings" is a hidden folder in C:\Documents and Settings\User

As for the other stuff? Eh? I wish I could help. Maybe you just replace $(VCInstallDir) with the appropriate directory. Or maybe you append the appropriate subdirectory to it.
skulldrudgery--A tricky bit of toil
How can I make it visible?

I think I understand this. It looks like each path had to be followed by $(VCInstallDir).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><VCPlatformConfigurationFile 	Version="8.00"	>    <Platform 		Name="VCProjectEngine.dll" 		Identifier="Win32"		>		<Directories 			Include="$(VCInstallDir)include;$(VCInstallDir)PlatformSDK\include;$(FrameworkSDKDir)include;$(VCInstallDir)C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDK\include" 			Library="$(VCInstallDir)lib;$(VCInstallDir)PlatformSDK\lib;$(FrameworkSDKDir)lib;$(VSInstallDir);$(VSInstallDir)lib; $(VCInstallDir)C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDK\lib"			Path="$(VCInstallDir)bin;$(VCInstallDir)PlatformSDK\bin;$(VSInstallDir)Common7\Tools\bin;$(VSInstallDir)Common7\tools;$(VSInstallDir)Common7\ide;$(ProgramFiles)\HTML Help Workshop;$(FrameworkSDKDir)bin;$(FrameworkDir)$(FrameworkVersion);$(VSInstallDir);$(PATH);$(VCInstallDir)C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDK\Bin"			Reference="$(FrameworkDir)$(FrameworkVersion)"			Source="$(VCInstallDir)crt\src"		/>    </Platform></VCPlatformConfigurationFile>
Tools -> Folder Options -> "View" Tab -> Select "Show hidden and system files"
Okay, thanks. After all that, I don't see the file "vccomponents.dat", so I'll just ignore this step.
Well, I finished all the steps. However, I'm getting this error when compiling:

Cannot open include file: 'windows.h':

According to the XML paths I included above, why is this?
Did MS decide not to allow the Win32 API to be included in the betas? Will it be in the final release?

I'm not getting any luck with this. All the paths are set, and the compiler still can't find windows.h. I'll just stay with 6.0 for win32 until their final release is.. uh released? It's so easy to work with in 6.0. Why did MS decide to leave out such an important part of development, especially from previous applications?
Aren't there more steps? 4 and 5?

I'm in a little over my head. I would have expected one of the big dogs to help you out by now.
I did 4 and 5 without any problem :) I could ask this... where in the XML file would "Executable files - C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDK\Bin" go?
Ignore the instructions. Copy the bin, include, and lib directories from your win32 sdk into a folder called "PlatformSDK" in your Visual Studio 8/VC/ directory.

Yep, the instructions on MSDN are horrible! It should work after the above, it did for me at least.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement