Big budget, no brains.... (World Of Warcraft/MMORPG Bashing)

Started by
41 comments, last by solinear 18 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by Wavinator
FWIW, surface mining is perfectly realistic depending on the age of the world. In 3000BC you could find many precious metals just sitting right on the ground. Early civilizations picked these up and turned them into works of art, armor and adornments for royal buildings pretty quickly just by beating them into shape. Smelting and mining didn't come until much later, as surface metal deposits became more scarce.

Then, of course, there's magic...

But how would you design mining to be risky, interesting and dangerous? Rocks don't attack (normally), acrobatic and platform jumping gameplay is probably a no-no, and you have to crawl back out of every hole you make. Geomoding, as shown in Red Faction (why doesn't anyone use this these days?) might be fun, but it's possible to get stuck, and hard to let you go in any one direction for long.

I think you could do 3D mining with reasonable limits, such as faking it with a flat plane and mixes of prefab "tunnel" meshes. But you'd need to worry about things like pumping in air, pumping out water, explosive blowouts, keeping your magical mining equipment and orc slaves in shape, and fighting against enemy miners. Could be very Dungeon Keeper-ish.

Well ok fine, WOW can have its nodes but i still think a full mining sub/joint part of an RPG game would be uber cool. I personally would love to take a break from my hack and slash dutys and go dig tunnels, collect, process and sell ore on an open market and that, if done correctly it would be very original if you ask me.

In an RPG you could have a part combat, part mining type character alteration where you can pound rocks with a hammer and if you see a monster you can go kill it useing your hammer and your mining gear doubles as effective lightweight armour maybe or even magical armour which is light but takes the damage instead of you. Acrobatic maybe not but platform jumping gameplay is perfectly possible, in WOW you can jump, if you made it a bit more controllable and accurate im sure it would be good for cave exploring. If you used a tele-tie system like Horizons: Empires Of Isteria or WOW you could tie yourself to the cave enterance and use a free telespell to return yourself to the cave entrance if you get lost, stuck, traped by monsters etc. Ive got my own game engine called Cubed Space which is basicly a kind of 3d isometric mesh of cubes which indivually hold information and graphics which can link together so live specficing tunnel designs and using prebuilt ones is not an issue. Just pick a tunnel shape, grab a tool and smash the wall in to build a tunnel, just make sure you move the earth using a crystal storage device first and you wont have a problem. Using crystals (a serious part of my RPG) bring in air, removing water and earth, explosives etc wouldnt be a problem, technolgy can also be used to do many of these jobs and fictional tech can do just about anything so its all possible.

Siolis

(Sorry about the spelling errors, in a rush to leave collage room.)
RPG: I'm going to rewrite this genre even if it kills me.
Advertisement
Well mining above ground is perfectly possible. A quarry is a deposit on ground. It can be mined from above like the ones in WoW. But actually who cares? It's the fun of the game that is interesting. It doesn't matter how it's achieved.

Some people just likes realistic games that takes about a million tries to learn (like Grand turismo and other simulators). Some people might just enjoy making a gang and hack it out in the World of Warcraft.

You can generally say it's a very good game. But not everyone can like it otherwise no one else need to release another game.

Me on the other hand would hate if I had to walk from my house. Go to the locker take on my clothes, mining hammer etc. etc. Walk the two miles (at realistic) pace. go to the caves. Take the elevator down. Work for one hour in the cave and have the seeling fall down over me and be permanently dead (hmm well at least my character).......
Quote:Original post by Siolis
That’s pretty spurious thinking. You know nothing about me, my design or my game except that it is based on the real world idea of mining and your willing to wager that my dream mine is full of crates and spiders and that my idea of a super cool mining sim is something you would play to cure insomnia. Tell me, do you design games, would like me to pass judgement while your still building it or do you even play games? I play quality computer games like metal gear solid, final fantasy, zone of the enders, ma-friggin-rio ffs, if you have ever played any best selling or otherwise quality game there’s a good dam chance I have too so if I designed a game based on what I know to be quality of computer games, doesn’t it make sense to you that it wont be total shit. Ya think, maybe there’s a chance that a hard core games player might be able to at least design some kind of descent game? But wait, you can’t really answer that can you, you know nothing about me or my design!

Sorry I wasn't clear, I wasn't commenting on your idea for a standalone mining sim. I meant to say your idea of adding a detailed mining sim to WoW sounds like the height of boredom and makes little sense to me.

However you have given me enough details of your theoretical standalone mining game for me to say: it sounds boring. So has every other mining sim description I've seen in this thread. I guess I'm not the target market.

As for your list of "quality" games, it's completely irrelevant. Playing good games doesn't make you a good game designer (not that I even agree that the games you listed are that great). If it did we'd have thousands of brilliantly designed games by thousands of different brilliant designers because everyone plays good games. Plus you listed a bunch of console games while the focus of this thread has been MMORPGs which are primarily on PC. And games are games are games, but we both know console games are not PC games.

The whole spider/crate thing was obviously facetious. Don't take yourself so damn seriously.
I’m aware of that but as I’ve said some where in the Ball Park of realism. To me and a few other people from the north of the UK *Cough*York*Cough* mining means going underground with machines and pick axes. FYI i know all about how to mine and how they do it, the method you described in a medieval method of getting iron, they don’t do that anymore, they dig, in quarries sometimes, in grate holes in the ground the rest of the time. ¬_¬

So wait, your complaint boils down to, the game set in "medieval+magic" settings has the mining mini-game quite closely resemble _medieval_ way of mining, as opposed to what present-day UK lad from York might do... and having that medieval way of mining in medieval settings, as opposed to having modern way of mining in medieval setting... is "unrealistic", out of all things?

The mind boggles, tbh.
Quote:Original post by Dobbs
That’s pretty spurious thinking. You know nothing about me, my design or my game except that it is based on the real world idea of mining and your willing to wager that my dream mine is full of crates and spiders and that my idea of a super cool mining sim is something you would play to cure insomnia. Tell me, do you design games, would like me to pass judgement while your still building it or do you even play games? I play quality computer games like metal gear solid, final fantasy, zone of the enders, ma-friggin-rio ffs, if you have ever played any best selling or otherwise quality game there’s a good dam chance I have too so if I designed a game based on what I know to be quality of computer games, doesn’t it make sense to you that it wont be total shit. Ya think, maybe there’s a chance that a hard core games player might be able to at least design some kind of descent game? But wait, you can’t really answer that can you, you know nothing about me or my design!

Sorry I wasn't clear, I wasn't commenting on your idea for a standalone mining sim. I meant to say your idea of adding a detailed mining sim to WoW sounds like the height of boredom and makes little sense to me.

However you have given me enough details of your theoretical standalone mining game for me to say: it sounds boring. So has every other mining sim description I've seen in this thread. I guess I'm not the target market.

As for your list of "quality" games, it's completely irrelevant. Playing good games doesn't make you a good game designer (not that I even agree that the games you listed are that great). If it did we'd have thousands of brilliantly designed games by thousands of different brilliant designers because everyone plays good games. Plus you listed a bunch of console games while the focus of this thread has been MMORPGs which are primarily on PC. And games are games are games, but we both know console games are not PC games.

The whole spider/crate thing was obviously facetious. Don't take yourself so damn seriously.

Well i meant that in wow they should have made a good attempt at a mining sim because they of all people could have done so but ok, i said before but as people have a really good habit of not reading earlier posts ill say again, i grant you that WOW's mining system suits the game due to it being an MMORPG, BUT in an RPG i would make of that caliber i believe a good mining system equal in Gameplay value to that of the RPG elements would be best. A kind of hybrid of RPGing, Mining, Hunting etc instead of an RPG with small sub games of mining, hunting etc.

Err, I’ve told you shit all about my mining game, i mealy plucked ideas from the air in the closing moments of a two hour, musicless collage spreadsheet lesson. My game in all its detailed glory is sitting on this PC (my home PC) and wont be posted on this forum in full, bits and pieces yes, but what I’ve said is random ideas, don’t think you know me or my game man.

I play quality computer games like metal gear solid, final fantasy, zone of the enders, ma-friggin-rio ffs, if you have ever played any best selling or otherwise quality game there’s a good dam chance I have too...

You don’t read too well do you? It was a generalization, the examples are my personal faves the bold line is the generalization that if you have ever played any game considered by general opinion to be quality than I’ve probably played it to your comment was irrelevant. Finally, it doesn’t matter what the game is, whose played it, designed it or anything else, the fact is I’ve played widely liked gamed, I’m assuming you may have played at least one game a lot of other people liked and there in the parts of those games could be taken and incorporated in my design like a novelist who reads other novelist books to get their writing styles and some wording before writing his own novel.

Don’t make comments if you don’t mean them, especially in a place where i cant tell your tone, body language or expression, if you make a comment against my game such as what you did how do you expect me to take it if in my own mind i think "This guys insulting my work when he knows nothing about it"?

Siolis
Quote:
To me and a few other people from the north of the UK *Cough*York*Cough* mining means going underground with machines and pick axes. FYI i know all about how to mine and how they do it, the method you described in a medieval method of getting iron, they don’t do that anymore,

But arnt they trying to emulate the midevil times anyways? Otherwise they should cut the crap with the swords and bows and start carrying heavy machine guns, mortors, et. al.
Quote:You don’t read too well do you?

No, I think you just missed my point. I know the specific games you mentioned aren't important, I made it clear that it was only incidental that I didn't like them. My point was that playing good games in no way makes you a good game designer, but you apparently think it does:

Quote:I play quality computer games ... snip ... so if I designed a game based on what I know to be quality of computer games, doesn’t it make sense to you that it wont be total shit.

I'd like to hear your reasoning there, because I don't think it's true at all. Just because you recognize good and bad design by someone else doesn't mean you yourself can design something good. And taking a bunch of good design elements from different contexts and putting them together doesn't mean they'll all still work and be fun.

This thread is getting pretty far off-topic, so maybe we should start a new one if you'd like to continue this discussion.
Ok then...*jumps thread*...
Quote:Original post by PaulCesar
Quote:
To me and a few other people from the north of the UK *Cough*York*Cough* mining means going underground with machines and pick axes. FYI i know all about how to mine and how they do it, the method you described in a medieval method of getting iron, they don’t do that anymore,

But arnt they trying to emulate the midevil times anyways? Otherwise they should cut the crap with the swords and bows and start carrying heavy machine guns, mortors, et. al.

Granted, hence i take back my original statement, as ive said allready.

Siolis
My two cents about playing "quality" games = good designer.

Frankly, I fail to see how good selling equates to quality. I've played a lot of games that, in the end, totally sucked. They sold a zillion copies, but the game sucked. It happens all the time.

Big name publisher X puts out enough hype and advertising, the game will sell. It doesn't have to be good, it just needs the proper label. Then again, I've played several no-name games that were never even published that were absolutely amazing. The raw pinacle of design.

And if you really want to call me a fanboy, yer welcome to it. I've played nearly every mmo around and find WoW to be the best entertainment for my dollars.
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement