• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mbruenjes

Wow-like Terrain

This topic is 4817 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there. What steps, techniques and which tools are necessary, to create a complete terrain like that in Wow? I know it´s a heightmap and a LOD algorithm. Did they use blended textures for the pathways? How they made such a huge terrain? And how to place the objects? Scripting or tools? Thanks! Michael

Advertisement
I can't honestly tell you any of the information you are specifically asking for. If you are interested in making a terrain generator or something, there *is* a resource for you, though. I'll even link it for you. Articles on GDnet, its best resource, and, unfortunately, probably one of the least used by the users of these forums. Good luck!

I think you'll find it's more of a mesh than a heightmap. Heightmaps could have been used to generate the meshes, but for all of the walkways and so forth, they would have been edited by hand. Chances are they made their own tools to do the entire thing (including object placement and scripting), and use scripts to move things around (like the NPCs that roam around the cities).

The terrain's so huge 'cause they're using a lot of data for it. The WoW Beta was 4 gigs, so if 2 gigs of that was textures, models and sounds, then that still leaves 2 gigs just for the world's mesh, which is a lot of data.

As for the paths, I don't know how they were done, but I can definately say it was only using 2 texture units at most, and 3D textures were not used ('cause I'm using a GeForce 2, which only supports 2 texture units, and runs like crap when 3D textures are used).

First of all, thanks for your replies.

I wasn´t sure, if i should use heightmaps, or create a terrain with Milkshape or something like that.

Your posts helped me to choose the direction to go.

Thanks

Michael

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!