• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Drexl

The most popular 2D-graphics-creating program in the industry?

This topic is 4816 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Which is the most popular program professional developers use to create textures and 2D-graphics? Is it Photoshop, Paintshop, or any other program? And why is that particular program the most popular?

Advertisement
Any studio worth it's salt uses Photoshop. Why? For the same reason everyone uses MS Windows and MS Office. It's the standard in the industry. If you start a new business or try to conduct an old business with "non-standard" file formats, it makes life difficult, especially if you need to publish, print, or communicate your work to someone else.

It may not be fair, but that's life.

Yeah, all I use is paint, of course I'm far from profesional, but I think my stuff turns out good (see Sir Sapo's developer's journal for what can be done in Paint).
*toots own horn*

Of course photoshop is popular, but is it the standard for 2d graphics? Sprites don't need all those effects and filters many times.

Adobe Photoshop is definately the standard. I personally use Jasc Paint Shop Pro -- it's cheap compared to Photoshop, very nice interface, fully featured... it's great.

Photoshop is of course popular, however some people I've met also swear by Macromedia Fireworks.

Unfortunately with the merge of Adobe and MM, it's unclear as to what will happen to FW.

Of course I have neither of these at home and usually use Gimp.

Mark

Okey, it seems that Photoshop is the prefered program to create graphics.

Are there any good books (or tutorials on the net) that teach beginners (like me) to use Photoshop(7) for creating 2D-graphics for games?

Don't forget that just because it's very popular in the industry doesn't mean that anyone can pick it up and make awesome graphics right away.
It's just a tool, and as such you first need to learn how to draw well.
Once you feel confident in your drawing abilities there are approximately 2.6 million photoshop tutorials on the net.

I have Jasc Paint Shop Pro, though I'm not going to focus on art. It served me well. I'm sure that it can provide enough for a serious artist. Yeah, Adobe's more expensive, but also has more features, from what I've heard.

I still use Paint, for the simple fact that Paint Shop Pro makes copying and pasting tricky... :)

Yes, I know there are trillions of tutorials on the net that teach Photoshop, thats why I asked if anyone could point out a specific tutorial that he/she found to be above the rest.

And, yes, Im a good artist, I had A's all through school in art. But I got those A's by using pencil and paper, not Photoshop, so I need to learn that program, and I dont want to waste my time on crappy tutorials.

So, having explained myself, I once again ask the same question:

Any good tutorials or books out there teaching Photoshop for an aspiring game-graphics artist?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!