Agents that 'learn'

Started by
2 comments, last by fup 18 years, 7 months ago
Hi I was wanting to know if Neural Networks are used in games to build agents that learn from their past experiences, like typical attack techniques/moves of their human opponents, and keep getting smarter with every game. Or are other techniques used? I would want to program such agents, and am currently studying NNs from Lauren Fausett's Fundamentals of Neural Networks. Please tell me if what I am doing is right. The "applications" section in the book, doesnot talk about any application of NNs in computer games/intelligent agents. If any other techniques are used, please post them, and also if you know any good textbooks that are focusses on these techniques. thanks
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by sidhantdash
I was wanting to know if Neural Networks are used in games to build agents that learn from their past experiences, like typical attack techniques/moves of their human opponents, and keep getting smarter with every game.

Black & White utilized perceptrons to model the creature desires (which were part of a belief-desire-intention model, BDI for short). The weights of the perceptrons were adjusted based on the pain-pleasure principle.

ANNs have been used sparsely in computer games. Where they have been used, they have been trained off-line and the trained ANN is used in the published game. Like Colin McCrae's Rally (follow the link at my website for more detail of this)

Allowing agents to learn in-game is very risky since it becomes difficult to test properly and tweak gameplay.
Project NERO used a real time version of neuro evolution and neural networks to generate units that learn from their experiences. I'd suggest checking out that free download and the papers behind it if you are interested.
Quote:Original post by Jbs
Project NERO used a real time version of neuro evolution and neural networks to generate units that learn from their experiences. I'd suggest checking out that free download and the papers behind it if you are interested.

Ah yes. It was extremely remiss of me to forget NERO (sorry Ken). Go check it out; it's an exciting development.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement