Harware Or Software Matrix palette skinning

Started by
-1 comments, last by Clement 18 years, 7 months ago
Hello my name is clement, i'm programming a 3D Engine and i have some question about the organisationt my engine: I use Matrix palette Skinning for the animation of my model, but i'm still in trouble with the way to implement it: Do i have to Use an "Hardware" implementation using VertexShader. Or do i have to use an "Software" implementation using simple "C" Code. Both have Advantages and disadvantages: If i use "Software" i have an acces to "post transformed" data, wich can be very usefull if i need it for collision detection or Shadow algoritgm. But it has the disadvantage of being slow. If i use "Hardware" it's more efficient, but i do not have an acces to post transformed data, and if my rendering pipeline need multiple pass it my be as slow as software version ( If the skinning shader is called 2 or more time ). Can you give me some advice to help me to choose the good way to implement Skinning animation !!! For now i use Software skinning and in the future i will implement Shadow using "Shadow mapping", so the only problem wich still remain, is when i need to do multiple render pass ..... Thanks a lot !!! Clement Vidal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement