• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Clement

Harware Or Software Matrix palette skinning

This topic is 4812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello my name is clement, i'm programming a 3D Engine and i have some question about the organisationt my engine: I use Matrix palette Skinning for the animation of my model, but i'm still in trouble with the way to implement it: Do i have to Use an "Hardware" implementation using VertexShader. Or do i have to use an "Software" implementation using simple "C" Code. Both have Advantages and disadvantages: If i use "Software" i have an acces to "post transformed" data, wich can be very usefull if i need it for collision detection or Shadow algoritgm. But it has the disadvantage of being slow. If i use "Hardware" it's more efficient, but i do not have an acces to post transformed data, and if my rendering pipeline need multiple pass it my be as slow as software version ( If the skinning shader is called 2 or more time ). Can you give me some advice to help me to choose the good way to implement Skinning animation !!! For now i use Software skinning and in the future i will implement Shadow using "Shadow mapping", so the only problem wich still remain, is when i need to do multiple render pass ..... Thanks a lot !!! Clement Vidal

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!