• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Khaos Dragon

How to stitch pictures together

This topic is 4814 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If you had a giant picture, split it up into a bunch of equal size tiles, scrambled them up randomly, and then had to write a program which could reassemble them, how would you do it? I am sure this is the obvious first thing that comes to mind and maybe not the most effective but my idea is akin to the following. For each image For each side ( lets take for example the right side ) { iterate through all the other pictures and obtain their left sides. Sum the difference in greyscale brightness values of the pixels between the right and left sides of the pictures. The picture with the smallest sum likely has the greatest correlation and is probably the neighbor. } I am wondering if this seems likely to work for pictures with great variety, or if I would be wasting my time with this type of approach and should look into something else?

Advertisement
I'm kind of confused too, are you trying to make a game like those picture slide puzzels, or are you talking about something that is like encryption/decryption? Thanks for any clarifications.

Sounds fine to me. Quite like attempting to decode Sky TV, except I'm guessing that you don't have to do this in realtime.

Quote:
Sum the difference in greyscale brightness values of the pixels between the right and left sides of the pictures. The picture with the smallest sum likely has the greatest correlation and is probably the neighbor.
I don't think that will work. Try an n dimensional distance function where n is the number of pixels on a side.

are you trying to do this for HDR images? If so there is software out there that does this already. Do a Google Search on Paul Debevec..His sites should have links if thats your goal.

moe.ron

I have to take thousands of random pictures taken from a microscope with no location info in them and have them pieced back together into one giant picture.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!