Mem Pooling on Consoles

Started by
2 comments, last by toddel 18 years, 7 months ago
Just out of curiosity I'm wondering do most console game developers mempool everything? From a naive perspective (I've only developed on PC) that would seem to make the most sense as you'd have complete control over your memory resource. We are currently mempooling a lot of our resources to cut down on the overheard of making sys calls with NEW and DELETE and was wondering how you console boys do it... /Todd
Advertisement
Yes, it's practically necessary, since no console I know of uses any kind of virtual memory (even if the CPU has an MMU onboard). Pointers are physical, so you have to watch out for fragmentation.
Is there anywhere I could get some more info on this?

I mean, I'll not be coding on consoles for a looong time (if ever), but is there anywhere that I can get some articles on the differences between console and PC programming? Or something similar?
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
I havent done any further research outside of talking to my programmer buds at work, who agree that its most necessary to pool all memory on consoles or at least have a very agressive memory management scheme. i've been lazy the rest of the week, but i'd give it a quick google or try the GDAlgorithms list. http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gdalgorithms-list

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement