Please Try My Game!! (screens included)

Started by
26 comments, last by matthughson 18 years, 7 months ago
Hey Everyone, I'm just about to publish a new game on my website, but thought it might be a good idea to try and take care of any unknown bugs before hand. So I am putting up the potential build for anyone who wants to try it. I'm looking for 3 main things here: Critical Promlems: For example the game crashes, or runs at an unplayable frame rate. Suggestions/Comments: Anything that you think might make the game better, or that you really like. If it's something really big, chances are I won't be adding it for this release, but if I make another build down the road, it might find its way in there. System Specs: As much info as possible, especially if you are submitting a critical problem. So here is my newest game: Flip Mode (Aprox. 2Mb) Thanks a bunch guy! Matt Hughson [Edited by - matthughson on September 11, 2005 5:49:24 PM]
__________________________________[ Website ] [ Résumé ] [ [email=contact[at]matthughson[dot]com]Contact[/email] ][ Have I been Helpful? Hook me up! ]
Advertisement
nice job, it looks pretty good. A few things though. On my dell inspiron 500m laptop with an Intel Extreme graphics card, the mouse is slightly laggy. Nothing major, but a bit annoying. Also, the pieces seem to twitch every once in a while shortly after they get flipped. Its as if they didnt flip all the way when they flipped, and then suddenly got fully-flipped in one frame 1-2 seconds later.

Finally, the most annoying thing is that once you alt-tab out, you cant get back in. When i tried to alt-tab back into the game, all i see is a white window.
I liked it. I also noticed the "twicthing" though, but it's pretty minor (2700XP+ CPU, Radeon 9500 pro vid card). Since the mouse works in the game it would be nice if it worked in the main menu as well. No major complaints. The pacing was good, just as i had figured out the patterns needed to quickly clear the 3x3 board, it switched over to a 4x3 size.
Quote:Original post by HalcyonX
nice job, it looks pretty good. A few things though. On my dell inspiron 500m laptop with an Intel Extreme graphics card, the mouse is slightly laggy. Nothing major, but a bit annoying. Also, the pieces seem to twitch every once in a while shortly after they get flipped. Its as if they didnt flip all the way when they flipped, and then suddenly got fully-flipped in one frame 1-2 seconds later.

I had these same problems on my p4 1.7 with GeForce3... the game worked nicely and the reflections are cool, but the mouse totally disappeared on me once and the other time it was jerky/laggy... maybe try keeping some float mouse coordinates with a sensitivity multiplier or something? Just guessing... also, make sure you have your MP3 permissions in order and try not to redistribute files like 'thumbs.db' that we don't need!

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses so far!

The mouse seems to be the biggest complaint I get from people. I had hoped to avoid switching the mouse picking (it's currently a 3D object in the 'world'), but it seems to be a big enough issue to spend some time on. What do you think about just using the system mouse? It's not very pretty but atleast it's smooth.

The alt-tab problem probably won't be fixed unless there is an easy way, but from what I hear it means reinitializing my d3d objects and reloading textures, and I'm not sure how that would work being wedged into the current frame work.

The delayed 'clicking into place' on the stone rotations is something I've noticed too. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the time based code. If you turn off enviroment mapping (in options) it seems to cause enough of a frame rate increase that the problem ceases. I'll check it out.

Thanks again for the input! Anyone else reading this, I'd love to hear your thoughts!!!

Matt Hughson
__________________________________[ Website ] [ Résumé ] [ [email=contact[at]matthughson[dot]com]Contact[/email] ][ Have I been Helpful? Hook me up! ]
Nice, I like it!

Runs great for me...

3.0Ghz 800 FSB P4
9800 Pro 256MB
1.0G PC3200
Windows XP SP1
DirectX9.0c

Awesome shader effects on the stones, and the gameplay is fun and unique! I have the same comments as the fellows above... what are you using for your mouse input? DirectInput or Windows messages? The mouse is just moving too fast for my taste... Perhaps build in a UI options menu that allows you to change the mouse-speed modifier?

-dbh
------------------------------------------------------------GDC/IGF 2006 Student Showcase Submission: Curator Defense
well for me it worked fine, only alt+tab didnt work(by that i mean when i wanted to return to game, it was all white), 85 fps all the way
Using AMD 2500+, ATI 9600Pro
Game ran pretty well. WTG - you've done a lot here.

Suggestions:

Shutdown after playing for about 15 min. on my P4 3.0 Intel with AGP Radeon X800 pro was *very* slow - 3 minutes at least.

Music was VERY repetitive. Consider a bit more variety.

Mouse was extremely sensitive - a little less would be nice.

In-game config is always better than instructing the user to edit a config file.

Again - congratulations! You've got a pretty fun little game here!
Quote:Original post by dbh
what are you using for your mouse input? DirectInput or Windows messages?

I'm using DirectInput, but I'm in the process of switching it over to the regular system mouse. I got it converted to DX screen coordinates, and now just need to implement picking. So far it is a very large improvement over the current mouse.

Quote:Original post by Steven Hansen
Shutdown after playing for about 15 min. on my P4 3.0 Intel with AGP Radeon X800 pro was *very* slow - 3 minutes at least.

You mean the game crashed after playing for 15 minutes!!?? And what do you mean by the "3 minutes" comment? I'm not really following; can you explain that again?

Quote:Original post by MasterWorks
try not to redistribute files like 'thumbs.db' that we don't need!

That's used by the installer; can't get rid of it.

Thanks again for all the comments! Keep 'em coming!!!

Matt Hughson
Great game. Really satisfying to play. [smile]

I have no complaints about the mouse lagging, but it was waaay too sensitive for my taste. I eventually got used to it, but then switching back to the desktop felt like treacle afterwards. I had a look in the config file, but couldn't see any way to change the mouse speed.

The menu could probably do with a bit of improvement. It would be nice to be able to modify the options in game (especially the mouse speed, 'cause that's hard to predict), although the cfg file was easy to understand. It would also be good if, when selecting levels, holding down the arrow keys scrolled through the choices. I got a bit fed up repeatedly hitting keys.

Finally, it would be really cool if the user could specify his own music playlist. Perhaps another setting in the cfg file could be used for this?

No technical complaints apart from the occasional 'popping' movement some of the other posters mentioned. And it's great fun to play. Way to go.

EDIT: This was on an Athon 3200 + Radeon 9800 pro, with I think 512mb RAM (I'll go check this now..).

EDIT2: Oops, no, it's got a GB of memory. That's cool. [grin]

[Edited by - MumbleFuzz on September 14, 2005 7:35:24 AM]
MumbleFuzz

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement