Please Try My Game!! (screens included)

Started by
26 comments, last by matthughson 18 years, 7 months ago
Ran smoothly, mouse is a little to sensitive though. A lot of harddrive noise after playing for a few minutes, perhaps you have a memory leak somewhere?

Apart from that I quite like it, reminds me of that old game, lights out, only better [smile]

Good work with the effects on the stones.

System:

AMD64 3000+
2x512MB RAM
GF6600GT w/ 128MB

PS: Love the options menu!
Adventures of a Pro & Hobby Games Programmer - http://neilo-gd.blogspot.com/Twitter - http://twitter.com/neilogd
Advertisement
this program has improved yet again from the last time i saw it.

it was great fun, and my only major complaint was the mouse, but others have said that. (also the pebbles snapping into alignment, if there was no delay it would maybe be unnoticable?)

love the ingame gui you added, and the leveling

pretty funky.

makes me despair of my own game, yet gives me hope that my game may come together with some, *sigh* , hard work...
Nice bud, however, I've always wondered what program you use to setup the installation wizard, can you tell me which you used? I've heard of installshield but that costs money right, thanks. I found the one you use, but I dont think I'm ready to shell out the money, you know of any free ones? Nevermind, found the freeware version, nice bud!
Quote:Original post by matthughson
Quote:Original post by MasterWorks
try not to redistribute files like 'thumbs.db' that we don't need!

That's used by the installer; can't get rid of it.

Sorry Matt, just assumed it was the stupid Photoshop or whatever file that I always seem to get in random directories... I have redistributed thumbs.db by accident several times...

Hey guys!

Another round of great comments! Thanks a ton!

I think most of the new complaints have been mentioned in previous posts, so I won't go into it again [wink].

Quote:Nice bud, however, I've always wondered what program you use to setup the installation wizard, can you tell me which you used? I've heard of installshield but that costs money right, thanks. I found the one you use, but I dont think I'm ready to shell out the money, you know of any free ones? Nevermind, found the freeware version, nice bud!

I actually don't use InstallShield. I tried it once but found it pretty tough to use, and a slight over-kill for a game like this with such simple installation requirements. Instead I used Click Team's Install Creator. It's really awesome, and super easier to use. You basically just specify a directory and it builds the installer. I use the free version, which has no real limitations. The only difference from the full version is that the last 'screen' of the installation is a simple text link back to Click Teams website.

Quote:Original post by matthughson
try not to redistribute files like 'thumbs.db' that we don't need!

That's used by the installer; can't get rid of it.

Sorry Matt, just assumed it was the stupid Photoshop or whatever file that I always seem to get in random directories... I have redistributed thumbs.db by accident several times...

Hehehe no biggie! I feel yah; I'm on 56k right now so I know the pain of wasted banwidth.

Oh and the options thing... chances are I won't be able to add an in-game version in anytime soon. The menus as they are, are pretty hacked in. I didn't spend any time making any widget classes or anything, so the idea of adding an even more complex menu makes me cringe just a little bit [wink]. I experimented with having the config file open in notepad when you click on options, but it lead to some pretty buggy behaviour in fullscreen mode, so I ended up just putting that step by step guide in instead.

Thanks again for all the comments! As you guys know, it really means a lot to know people are checking out all your hard work, and a few are even diggin it [wink]!

Matt Hughson
__________________________________[ Website ] [ Résumé ] [ [email=contact[at]matthughson[dot]com]Contact[/email] ][ Have I been Helpful? Hook me up! ]
Thanks bud, hey, what glfunctions did you mix in da bowl to get those nice reflections
Nice game!

I liked the "polished" feel :)

A few problems though:

Gameplay - I noticed that sometimes when you rotate the stones, after rotating, they snap into place, not smooth.

Maybe add a reset button?

When I exited the game, it hung a bit, then I clicked on the X (it was windowed again after exiting) and Windows said "you have chosen to close a non-responsive program". Then after that, my computer ran real slow for a bit, don't know if it's still slow.

My specs:

Amd Athlon 1.2+
Geforce 4 MX 64 mb
256 MB DDR RAM
BRILLIANT!!!

Sure, it could be improved upon in a few areas, as highlighted in other member's posts, but you got a good base here and the game is FUN to play (I like puzzles).

Keep going mate!
Quote:Original post by blankdev
Thanks bud, hey, what glfunctions did you mix in da bowl to get those nice reflections

glSwitchApi(DIRECT_X); [wink] I'm using DirextX. The effect is called cube mapping (often refered to as enviroment mapping), and preformed to the fixed function shader pipeline in DirectX. It's a pretty common technique, so you shouldn't have much trouble find tutorials on how to do it in OGL if you're interested.

I've been fixing a lot of the bugs and implementing a lot of your all's suggestions. Here's what has been fixed since I posted this build:

Screen Shot: No one has seemed to notice yet, but the screen capture doesn't work (F2). This has been fixed.

Exe Icon: Something happened and the exe shows up in the start menu with the default exe icon (desktop icon works find though). I fixed that.

Crappy Mouse Control: The game now uses the system mouse. This makes the game control a lot better, and all allows the user to preform other tasks when in windowed mode.

Stones Snapping: The graphical glitch where stones would snap into place after a second or so delay has been fixed.

Level Records: Right now the level records don't get saved. That's been turned back on.

You can feel free to still say this stuff bugs you, but know that it's already been fix [wink].

Thanks again for all the great feedback!

Matt Hughson
__________________________________[ Website ] [ Résumé ] [ [email=contact[at]matthughson[dot]com]Contact[/email] ][ Have I been Helpful? Hook me up! ]
Nulla libero. Aliquam quam lectus, pretium eu, interdum non, lacinia vitae, urna. Aliquam id orci.

[Edited by - BlossomSoft on August 25, 2008 4:36:54 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement