• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kluch

Good User Controlled Camera Information?

This topic is 4812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if anyone could point me in a driection for finding some concepts on making a "Good" user controlled camera (Like those found in 3DSMax or Maya) for the purpose of a level editor. I'm not looking for every line of code or anything just somewhere to start as I have not come across anything in my searching so far. Thanks!

Advertisement
The main thing is to sort out how the camera works. Like for instance, Blender has a nice camera where you can (a) rotate with the leftmouse button + drag, (b) pan with shift + mousebutton + drag, (c) zoom with + / - keys.

Now you can choose whatever you want. You must set up your input processing code, and then do as the input demands. Like for rotating use your rotation function, for panning use your translation function, for zooming just move the camera forward or back in your scene! [smile]

I would be glad to offer any more help if you need it, just holler!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!