• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Avenyr

Basic algebra question

This topic is 4819 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I can't believe I don't remember this but I got confused over some very basic algebra stuff. I have 1/(x+1)/(x+2) <--- no brackets this is vertically put I taught it gave 1/(x+1)*(x+2) but the math book's solution says it's (x+2)/(x+1) and I don't remember why it is like that and I feel ashamed of doing calculus when I don't even know such a basic operation This is only the part of the problem and this is not in it's entirety help me out please T_T

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
The answer depends on the order in which the divisions are performed. If it is grouped as 1 / ((x+1)/(x+2)) then the book's answer is correct.

from the text, I have to replace all the X in F(x) with G(x) meaning

F(g(x)) is what I'm looking for and it turns out F(x) is 1/x and G(x) is (X+1)/(X+2)

so then it becomes 1/(x+1)/(x+2) but I don't know if and why I should put parenthesis to make it become like this 1/[(x+1)/(x+2)]

Basically I'd like to know the common rules in those type of situation with the fact that I know that dividing something means multiplying with the inverse of the divisor.

you realy should put some paranthesis...

what you thought about is:
(1/(x+1)) / (x+2) = 1 / ((x+1)*(x+2))

what the book meant is:
1 / ((x+1)/(x+2)) = (x+2) / (x+1)

why is this so? the philosophical abstract algebra behind it is deep but the for calculations you need only remember the method which is best explain by an example:
when you devide by 3 (=3/1), its the same as multipling by 1/3 (third)
same way when you devide by 2/3, its the same as multipling by 3/2

so when you do 1 devided by (x+1)/(x+2) its the same as multipling 1 by (x+2)/(x+1).

the same logic worked for your understanding of the problem
deviding (1/(x+1)) by (x+2) is the same as multpling by 1/(x+2)
so the result is (1*1) / ((x+1)*(x+2))

I hope I was clear...
if not ask again and ill try to rephrase

Iftah.

So if I follow what you said Iftah,
my reasoning is good for the technique but I got confused because I forgot to make proper use of parenthesis because the problem was 1/x and replacing that x byt (x+1)/(x+2) making it in reality something like

1/[(x+1)/(x+2)]

them meaning that this would be the same as (1/1)*[(x+2)/(x+1)] which in term would become

(x+2)/(x+1) < final answer

is that right ?

just read the posts that were posted while i wrote my first reply (hate when that happens)

what does G(F(X)) means? its a new function, different from F and from G.
the new function first activates F on X, then activates G on the result.
so you see if you want to write a formula for G(F(X)) you need to put F(X) in place of Y, but you must surround it with paranthesis to make sure it is calculated first.

*always* when you replace X in F(X) think of it as surrounded by paranthesis.
as you saw, without it the results are often a mistake

for example:
F(X) = X+1
G(Y) = 2*Y

G(F(X)) = 2*(X+1) = 2*X + 2

without paranthesis you would get
G(F(X)) = 2*X+1 <--- wrong!!!

Iftah.

[Edited by - Iftah on September 12, 2005 8:49:49 AM]

Ok I get it now

so the only problem I had was considering the parenthesis by forgetting them or ignoring them for that matter since I thought it didn't make a difference by I see it does

alright I understood

so something like X / Y / Z if there are no parenthesis means

X * 1/Y * 1/Z which would give X/Y*Z

but it would have been otherwise if there would have been parenthesis like in my problem

well, there is no meaning to A/B/C since you cant tell if its (A/B)/C or A/(B/C)

and these two are different:

(A/B)/C = A/(B*C)
A/(B/C) = (A*C)/B

without the paranthesis you guessed one option and did the calculations correct, but you guessed the wrong one.

I feel I wasnt clear on the explaination of G(F(X))...

anyways, if you are not sure if you got the right formula for G(F(X)) you can always check yourself -
choose X (say 2) then activate F on it (put 2 in F's formula) then activate G on the result (put the result in G's formula).
then try putting 2 in the formula you got for G(F(X)). it should come out the same.
(ofcourse getting the same doesnt prove you got it right...)

Iftah.

[Edited by - Iftah on September 11, 2005 10:00:25 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!